[11] setup

calum-

i woke up that morning to my alarm, and jumped up immediately. if i slept in any longer, i wouldn't have enough time to finish preparing for our date. i wanted it to go smoothly, because i didn't want her to think that us being more than friends was a horrendous idea.

my mum was leaving for work as i went downstairs, and she gave me a kiss on the forehead and an 'i love you' before heading out the door. i went to get a box of cereal, and poured myself a bowl before sitting down at the table.

i knew that kaeleigh's date had to be cheesy. previous boyfriends of her's had simply taking her out to eat and dropped her off at home. one of the reasons why they were previous boyfriends.

so i planned the cheesiest thing i could think of. scavenger hunt. clues. rose pedals leading to where a stood. a guitar in hand. serenade.

and i hope she liked it.

to be fair, i did put a lot of thought into the clues.

i finished eating and put my bowl in the sink, then went upstairs to get the notecards. i grabbed my keys and headed over to kaeleigh's house, unlocking the door with the spare key her mum let me borrow. i had told emily my plans, and she granted me access to their house early in the morning.

i opened and closed the door as softly as possible before sneaking upstairs to kae's room. i smiled at her sleeping figure before placing a green index card on her night stand on top of her phone.

hi baby :) good morning! this has to be the cheesiest thing ever, right? are you hungry? it's probably close to lunch time now that you're awake, why don't you go down to get a snack? maybe you'll find another cheesy note? - cal

i fought the temptation to lay down next to her and hold her close, and made my way back downstairs. in the kitchen, i opened the refrigerator and placed a yellow card on the package of cheese.

okay, don't shoot me. i know. but i couldn't think of anything else for this one. in return, i'll just tell you where to go next. living room? -cal

with a chuckle i placed the next yellow card right next to the remote on the table.

so i don't want to wait that long for our date. maybe you should start getting ready now? choose any outfit you'd like, we'll just be doing simple things. - cal

i went back upstairs, where kaeleigh was still sleeping, and opened her closet quietly. i placed the pink card on top of her blue vans she always wore.

i love these shoes. i know you do too. i can't see you, but of course you look beautiful today. you never brush your hair until the last moment, but you'll have to at least look at your brush to find the next clue. -cal

kaeleigh's brush was on her dresser in front of her mirror, next to her makeup bag. i put the purple card next to the handle.

okay i know it seems like i stalk you to know your morning routine, but i swear it's just because i know you so well. you usually wear at least one piece of jewelry, right? can i make a request this time? -cal

the next green card was placed just a couple feet away from the last, and i placed a locket on top of it. it was in the shape of a heart, and had a picture of us inside.

we took this three years ago, and i gave you this locket that christmas. you still wear it everyday. it makes me happy. alright, you're almost there. there's a spare key downstairs to my place, though i'd like it back so you don't barge in anytime. -cal