“That night once my mother went out, he wouldn’t stop whipping me with a belt. I got to the point when I was coming in and out of consciousness and my back was all bloody. James came into the study and saw what my father was doing, he was so shocked. He thought that my father had stopped beating me, with me being 17, but no, he just tried to do it when James was out, and he made sure he did it where no one would see.” He paused and undid the Halloween jacket he was still wearing, to reveal his back. I gasped when I took in all the scars that covered his back. It made tears come to my eyes at the thought of him being hurt so bad, that he would still have scars to this day. Almost 6 years later.

“A few days later, mum had taken me and James out for a treat, and she bought James a new football and jumper, and me, she bought me a whole load of art stuff, saying I needed to be prepared for collage. But she knew me and knew it would only last me a month or 2. She just wanted an excuse to buy me more. When we got home, my mother showed my father all the things she had bought us. And was the day that I stood up to my father.

“My mother had such a sparkle in her eye, when she was showing him all my stuff. My mother didn’t know it was my father that gave me all the bruises, she thought I was getting bullied at school. Well anyway, she was so happy, but my father wasn’t. He slapped her for encouraging me to carry on with art.” A small tear trickled down his face, and before I knew it I was sat on the bed, beside him and pulling him into my chest for a hug. It broke my heart to see him this sad. Taking a deep breath he carried on.

“He had never hurt her before. Him slapping her made me realise that I have to stand up for what I believe in, and how much of a bastard he is. I started punching him and he started punching me. All the time my mum was screaming at us to stop. With both had broken noses and bust lips, blood covered us, knuckles split and bleeding, we were a mess.

“My dad then started screaming how he should have ended me years ago. He shoved me into the wall and ran, well limped into the study, I followed shortly after, making sure my mum was okay first. Once I staggered into the study, my father was nowhere in sight. His evil chuckle sounded behind me, making me turn to face him, and his gun.” His eyes had glossed over, reliving the memory again. He truly was re-living it as he describing it. He was like I was when I described a picture or photo.

“At all happened so fast, my brother ran into the room and jumped in front of me as my dad pulled the trigger. The bullet collided with his chest puncturing it and into his heart, killing him.” More tears poured down his face and  soaked into my Halloween dress.

“My brother died because of me!” He cried, making me hug him tighter. I didn’t know what to say, so I just brushed his hair and held him to me. Hoping to bring comfort.

Half an hour later, we were lying on my bed, clinging to each other, as if that would stop the hurt.

Why did something like that have to happen to such a beautiful, fun loving, caring man? It just doesn’t seem right. But then again, nothing is right in this sick and twisted world.

A knock on the door brought me out of my thoughts. Quietly I said, ‘come in’, the person pushed open my door and smiled sadly at me. I let out a small sigh and kissed Aaron’s sleeping forehead, then slowly moved out from underneath him.

Once I was out in the hall I smiled at my friend, Jamie. He was the one and only guy friend I had. And he hated the girls, which I found funny considering he’s gay.

“Hey Jay Jay. What’s up?” He grinned and pulled me into a hug.

“Nothing, but who was that hunk of a guy in your bed shirtless, and why are you still in your costume?” He smirked at me as if he already knew the answer, and it was dirty. Shoot! I still hadn’t had a shower! Jamie laughed at my shocked face, which made me smack him because he would wake up Aaron. “So… who is he?” Going back to the original question I smiled.