Where did it all go wrong?

Basically, the zombie apocalypse happened. It's literally all talking until the very end. But I like it.

"Where did it all go wrong Jack? What happened to us? To the world? What did we do that was so wrong that it led to this? Everyone we know and love is dead. Literally, either the living, walking dead, or up there, where they're safe. We're not safe Jack. Not anymore. Not ever again. And it's only a matter of time before we're up there as well, with everyone else. Matt, Ryan, Daniel, Wade, Bob, Amanda, Arin, Jesse, J-Fred, Brian, Yami,Felix, Marzia, Tyler, even Chica. And to be honest, I can't wait. It's lonely here. It's so lonely and so dangerous.

But at least I've got you. Sure, you're a zombie now but, that doesn't stop me from loving you. I can see it in your eyes Jack. Part of you is still in there, still here, with me now. I...I have to believe that. Otherwise there's nothing to believe in. And no hope to hold on to...You're my hope Jack. You...you were, my hope. But now you...and I...

Oh god Jack! I'm so sorry!! I never meant for this to happen. I wanted to keep you safe, I wanted to protect you!! I wanted to hold you, to kiss you, laugh with you, play games with you!! I wanted to live with you,marry you, raise kids with you, I wanted to live a long and happy life with you, one that we could've and would've been proud of. I...I wanted to love you, Jack. I wanted to love you.

But how could I, if I never told you? And how can I now, when I can't tell you?

I'm sorry I never said it Jack. I'm sorry I was too slow. I ran out of time...we, ran out of time. And I'll never get to tell you what you mean to me. I guess I could now...I am. But...it's not you. This...creature, sitting in front of me...is not you. I don't know who it is. But it's not you Jack. It will never be you again.

I'm so sorry..."

I ran my hand over the gun, then gripped the handle and picked it up off of the ground.

"I didn't ask for this."

I checked the clip and, seeing the single remaining bullet lined up inside, put it back in and cocked the gun.

"I didn't want this...nobody did."

I lifted it up. The cold contraption that held the power over life and death. But...it didn't. It's not the gun that kills people...it's the user.

"I'm sorry Jack."

I aimed it at his head, as he strained forward to try and attack me. His mouth was a waterfall of spit and blood, his skin pale yet tainted with dark veins that highlighted his eye's that glowed bright, septic green. Huh, he'd of loved to of seen himself right now. And yet there was a spark of blue behind his eye's as well...a spark of Jack. That man I loved...the man I love.

"I love you Jack...I'm sorry I never said it before...but I do...I love you."

I controlled my breathing as the gun trembled in my hands. My eyes watered furiously and my heart ached with a pain so agonising that I wished I didn't have one...but I'm glad I did...I'm glad I have one...so that I could use it to love Jack.

"You know, despite what's happened...I don't think I'd change a thing." I whispered as my finger got closer to the trigger ever so slowly. "I wouldn't care if the zombie apocalypse was inevitable...if I just had one chance to go back and tell you that I loved you." Tears now streamed down my face, and my voice trembled with effort. "Even...even if you hated me for it...I'll just be glad I said it. B...because it's true. A...a...and I'm not ashamed to admit it." This was it. The final act of my life...I'd say I've done pretty good with what time I had...and I don't regret a thing but not telling Jack how I felt...how I feel. But...hopefully when I free him now...he'll understand...and he'll love me back. "I love you Jack."

I took one last glance into his eye's. And he looked back at me. And for a moment, I thought I saw blue...I thought I saw love...I thought I saw Jack.

"Goodbye...and thankyou for a fantastic life...well spent with you...even if you don't know it...thankyou Jack."

And I pulled the trigger. And the only sound I heard after that bang...after the thud of a body hitting the ground...was me. And I was crying. I was sobbing, screaming, pouring my heart out as it began raining like some cliché movie. And from the corner of my eye, as I curled up on the ground, was the rain mixing with my blood from the bite on my arm from Jack.

Yeah, I was bitten by the one I loved. Hehe, some love bite huh? But I'll walk this world, damned as a living corpse, never to have my soul freed if I had to...as long as I could set Jack free.

They say if you love em', let em' go. And so that's what I did. I set the one I love...go. And now he's safe, and hopefully happy. Yeah...I'll walk this world alone if I have to. And until my mind is corrupted and my body taken over by some, cannibalistic, undead virus...I'll walk it with pride. With my head held high. Because the one I love is safe.

Truth is...I don't think I'll ever walk alone. Because, even right now...I can feel Jack with me. And I know...that he'll never leave me. Here's here to stay with me. To help me. To defend and protect me. Even when I become a zombie...because I know now...and maybe I should've realised it a long time ago...that Jack loves me back.

He just never had the time to tell me.