Not a simulator this time

"Dr. Fischbach, we have an urgent emergency operation." Nurse Wade exclaimed as Dr. Fischbach began walking instantly towards the operating room.

"What's the case? How serious? And who is it?" He asked bluntly.

"Multiple stab wounds to the abdomen, mass blood loss, showing signs of early organ failure, lung blockage by the amount of blood and..."

"And what? Who is it?" Dr Fischbach asked impatiently as he continued.

"Well, it's, I...I uh..."

"Spit it out Wade!"

"It's your Husband, Mark. It's Jack."

Mark stopped in his tracks, giving Wade one painful and terrified look before sprinting down the hall.

Once there, he almost choked on grief at the sight of his husband laying there, tubes coming in and out of him, numerous bloodbags that seemed to have no effect, wires everywhere and the look of death upon his face.

Another doctor, Bob, came up to Mark and stared him hard in the eye.

"In this moment in time Mark, you have to forget that's your husband. You have to forget that's Jack. You cannot let your emotions get the better of you if you want to save him. Understand?" Bob asked sternly.

Mark nodded his head and set to work, first slowing the bleeding as it didn't look as if it was going to stop for a while. Once that was done, he set to work on inserting a tube and puncturing Jacks lungs as to drain the blood from his lungs and allowing him to breathe properly. Of course he would need breathing support after this for a while whilst his lungs healed again. Mark then set to work on stitching up the stab wounds and securing them as tightly as possible. After this was done he hooked Jack up to another bloodbag, morphine and a sedative to keep him sleeping whilst his body began to recover. He then cleaned up what blood remained on Jacks body and then let out a breath of relief that he seemed to have held in when he first entered the room.

A hand then gently clasped on his shoulder and Mark turned around to see the sympathetic faces of Doctors Bob and Aaron, and Nurses Wade and Jordan.

"It's okay guys. I fixed it, he's gonna be alright." Mark said, breathing heavily.

Nurse Jordan then came up to him and layed a gentle hand on his shoulder as his eye's glistened with the threat of tears.

"Mark. You...you didn't hear us. You didn't listen."

"What?"

"Mark...Jack's gone. You were so intent on saving him that you didn't hear the flatline. He died before you even started on clearing his lungs. I'm sorry."

"You mean...I lost him?" Mark stared back down at Jack as finally noticed that he was trying to save a dead body. "I lost him."

Nobody could comfort him in that moment, and nobody could after he quit his job. Nobody could after he went to and left Jack's funeral, after he moved house and left all of Jack's things behind. Not after he quit bother Jacks youtube channel and his own that they did part time. Not after he went to sleep and woke up, repeating the same words over and over as a punishment, so that he never forgot, nor forgave himself for what happened that day.

"I lost him."