69

Tori

     A week and a half have passed. I sit in the lab at a table. Bruce walks back and forth to get materials. My chin rests on my hand from not getting any sleep.
     Fury has only needed me twice since the first few days of the mission. He told me more about John Robinson and Matthew Williams. None of it was meaningful. So, I have just sat in the lab with Bruce, watching him work.
     "Hey, Bruce," I say.
     "Yeah, Tori?" he asks.
     "Have you found out why the ball has those designs on it?" I question, pointing at the vein designs.
     "No," he admits. "But it may be so that they are able to categorize them."
     "Interesting,"
     He doesn't speak again, but twists the ball apart and studies the inside. Steve has spoken to me twice during the entire time of being separated. The second time was three days ago, but he wasn't on for long. They are stuck at a H.Y.D.R.A. base, unable to clear it of its agents.
     There are no words to describe how much I miss him at this point. He didn't say if anyone is hurt or if they all are doing alright. This worries me.
     "Tori, can you hand me that thing next to your elbow?" Bruce asks.
     "Yeah," I say, picking up the small pliers.
     I hand them to Bruce, which he thanks me for and continues his work. He has found out most things about the ball, but there are still more to be uncovered.
     Bruce takes something out of the ball: a magnet. He sets it aside and jots something in his notepad. I drum my fingers on the edge of the table, thinking to myself. I imagine Steve coming home, bringing me into his arms. Then, I see Steve staggering to me. He falls to his knees and the wounds start to show.
I am drawn out of my thoughts when Bruce sets his pliers on the table with a bang. My head shoots up and my eyes linger on the door.
"It was just me," Bruce says. "I didn't mean to startle you."
"It's okay," I sigh. "I'm just getting my hopes up."
"They're coming home in a few days,"
"Yeah,"
I look out the window, trying to focus on the clouds. They remind me of Steve, when we were drawing in his sketchbook. I stare at the floor instead, not wanting to think of him. I can bare his absence for a few more days, I know I can.
"I know you're thinking about him," Bruce mumbles, fiddling with the magnet.
"I know you do," I say.
"You're worried," he says matter-of-factly. "But you can handle a few more days."
"I know I can,"
"I still remember you and Tony not too long ago," he laughs. "You are like completely different people. Everyone is. I feel like you've changed the most. Sure, Steve has too, but just in this short amount of time."
"Fury thinks the same thing,"
"That's because it's obvious," Bruce remarks. "He's also known you much longer than I have. And from every little story Tony has blabbed about, you have changed just from joining S.H.I.E.L.D. - good and bad ways."
"That's because I've become more social, I guess, and I've discovered a new skill set."
"You just seem happy and sad at the same time,"
"That's because I'm always around massive change. It's never been calm when I'm around."
"You've made it happier, more joyful."
"I can't do that, it has to be my bro-"
The door to the lab opens, showing the man in black.
"Banner and Stark," Fury says. "Good news."
"What is it?" I ask, standing from my chair.
"The Avengers are coming back today,"