50

Steve

I squint at the agent with pure hatred. The young agent stares at Tori with fear in his hazel eyes. My mind floods with the memories: pacing down the hallway, the gas, Tony and I in the room, Tori's tears, Tori's lips...
"I've had enough of you," I growl to the agent that brainwashed me.
I stomp to the agent, putting my shield on my back. His slicked back raven hair is pressed against the wall and his pale skin is close to being punctured by the icicle.
"P-Please, Captain," the American agent chokes, examining my red, white, and blue uniform. "I was only doing my job."
"You were going to kill two innocent people I care about!" I yell.
"Don't you mean that you were going to kill those two people?" the agent slurs.
I stop in my tracks. My mind goes blank and my heart beats faster. Tori's icicle grows closer to the agent's throat, causing him to recoil to the wall.
     "And who is this young lady?" the agent asks, nodding to Tori.
     "You know who I am." Tori hisses.
     "Really? I don't recall an ice producing Avenger."
     "Mystérieux," Tori says. "And you are?"
     "Agent Roberts."
     I hear three pairs of sprinting feet run down the hallway, coming to us.
     "What the hell is going on?" Tony questions.
     Tori and I keep our eyes on Roberts, making sure that he doesn't escape.
     "Found a wanted man." Tori says.
     "Ah, the Stark siblings are here," Roberts says.
     "I didn't say that you could talk," I snap.
     "I didn't say that you could be brought out of the gas."
     "So, this is the guy, Tasha," Clint roars.
     I am starting to fume from the rage. I ball my hands into fists, waiting for my chance to punch Roberts.
     "I highly suggest that you all leave," I growl. "This is going to get messy."
     Clint and Natasha scurry without question, Tony slowly following them. However, Tori doesn't move an inch. Tony stays back, prepared to drag his little sister out of the room.
     "Tori," I choke out. "Please."
     "Steve," she says. "I would like to watch."
     "I don't want you to," I respond. "Now please go, I beg of you."
     Tori stares at me with sad eyes while Tony drags her out of the room by her wrist. After everyone is out of sight, I throw my first punch.

•••

     I putter out of the room, studying my bloodstained hands. My chest rises and falls quickly from my actions, my lungs feeling heavy.
     "Steve?" Tori trembles.
     I lower my head, not wanting anyone to see my face. I eye the white tiles, remembering Roberts's blood spilling across them.
     "Steve?" Tori asks again, her hand on my cheek.
     I jump back, not expecting her to be there. I breathe heavier, scanning the Avengers with fear.
     "It's just us," Tori coos. "I'm sorry that he had to be here."
     "I'm sorry that I had to do that," I mumble.
     I wrap my arms around Tori, hoping that will strengthen my apology. She puts her arms around me, burying her face into my chest. I rest my head on top of hers, taking in her scent. I squeeze my eyes shut, trying to hide the visions of Roberts's lifeless body.
     "It's okay," Tori whispers.
     "I know," I say.
     She takes my shoulders, forcing me to look at her. Her brown orbs are coated with a thin layer of tears.
     "Don't ever think that I'm going to hate you for one silly action." Tori says. "I would've done the same thing."
     I try to grin. Her small reassuring smile fades as her attention is drawn to my lip.
     "What happened in there?" she asks, running her finger across my cut bottom lip.
     "It's not important," I say.
"Tell me later?" she whispers.
"Y-Yeah,"
"Let's go everyone," Tony announces. "Before we're caught."