15

"Walk around the city," Steve says, his eyes gleaming. "Just have fun, you know."
I grin at the captain. "I'd like that."
Tony pretends to gag next to me, shielding his eyes with his hand. "Gross."
"I thought you knew how to have fun?" I ask.
"I do," Tony protests, crossing his arms.
"Then come up with a better idea." Steve chuckles.
"Humph," Tony grunts. "You two are horrible together."
"Get used to it," Steve says, getting close to Tony's face.
Tony scowls and continues to cross his arms, his face showing his disapproval. Steve and I giggle at the man and we drag him out of the quinjet. Natasha, Clint, and Bruce must have gone around us and come outside because they stand patiently in front of the quinjet.
"Good morning, guys." Bruce says over the wind.
"Morning," Steve and I say in unison.
We laugh and listen to what everyone has to say.
"I was thinking that we can just stroll through the city today." Bruce says.
"I was thinking that we could go into parks or out of the city." Clint says.
"I really don't care what we do." Natasha says.
Tony, Steve, and I watch the three quarrel with each other, trying to keep our laughing in. My eyes drift away from the scene and my smile fades away. I squint my eyes to make out the details of the black spot in the sky. I eventually spot wings and windows on it - a plane.
I tug on Steve's blue jacket's sleeve to capture his attention. "Steve, do you see that?" I say, pointing to the plane in the sky.
"No - wait, yes! Yes, I do." he exclaims. "But what is that red thing on it?"
I squint harder and I see red tentacles. Wait, tentacles!
"Steve, that's a H.Y.D.R.A. plane! Forget today's plans, I'm going to check it out." I say, stomping in the direction of the plane.
His eyes widen. "No, no, no, no, no, hang on!"
Steve seizes my elbow and I snap my head around to look into his eyes.
"If you're going, I'm going with you." he says.
"Okay," I say. "Everyone else can do whatever, Steve and I are leaving for a bit."
All of the Avengers nod questionably, but allow us to leave.
"Wait!" Tony screams. "You're going to need these."
He runs toward us and hands Steve his shield and me my gun.
"Thank you," I say. "Now let's go, Steve."

•••

     "And how did I agree to this?" Steve groans as I peer around the wall of a building.
     "I seriously have no idea," I say. "But we're going to find something super important, I'm sure of it."
     I run around the corner of the building and go to the opposite side of it to the side of the other building. Buildings, buildings, and more buildings. Steve reluctantly follows me to the building. I hear a faint voice from the other side of the building. I put a hand in front of Steve's bulky chest, signaling him to stop moving.
     "-and here's your gift." the voice says.
     There is a sound of a cardboard box and a grunt.
     "Thanks. Looks like Christmas has come a month early this year." another voice says.
     "Just tell your boss it's from me."
     "Got it."
     Two pairs of footsteps walk in different directions, both away from Steve and I. My eyes dart around the area, looking for a way to see the owners of the voices. They stop at a ladder that leads to the top of the building Steve and I are against. I sprint to it and start to climb.
     "What are you doing?" he whispers.
     "Finding the voices." I state, stopping at my spot on the ladder to look down at him.
     He sighs and starts to climb. I grin and move up the bars, my hands and feet clanging against them. We move faster and faster until we reach the top. I pull myself up and Steve follows. I scan the ground, looking for the plane or the people.
     "Duck!" I command him, dropping to the roof.
     We both land with a thud and he glances up confused.
     "Why? What did you see?" he asks.
     "The people and the plane!" I quietly exclaim.
     He looks in the direction that my eyes linger on, then his eyes widen with shock.
     "There it is," he whispers. "And there's the people."
     The men on the ground wear black suits, one with a cardboard box walking towards a larger building and the other into the plane.
     I eye the box with chaotic eyes. "Looks like I'm adding 'find out what's in that cardboard box' to my calendar."