12

My hands fly to my face in shock. Everyone wears fancy clothes: Natasha in her new red dress, Bruce and Clint in black tuxedos and a black bow tie like Tony, and Steve in a black tuxedo and a black necktie. Steve has his hair even more perfectly slicked back and his eyes won't leave me.
"You guys," I smile. "You didn't have to do this."
     "We had to," Tony says. "It's a new tradition."
     "Tradition?"
     "Yep," he grins. "Now, let's follow Fury's orders and have a good time."
     I skip to the empty chair in between Tony and Steve. I plop down and look down the table.
     "You look nice," Steve whispers to me.  
     "Thank you," I say, a bit flustered. "You too."
     Everyone stares at me with happiness. I smile and wait for the commotion to start.

•••

     I bore at my empty plate, stomach full. Everyone else's is, as well. The candle lit room just adds to the positive list of the celebration. Tony glances at me with somewhat watery eyes, prouder than ever.
     "And for dessert," Tony hums, holding up a bottle. "Champagne."
     Tony stands and walks around the table, filling every champagne glass with the drink. He fills mine first, then makes his way around. I stare at the bubbles that float to the top. I hear the laughter of everyone, which makes my heart light. Once Tony returns to his chair, he stands and raises his glass.
     "I'd like to make a toast," he says, all of us standing up and raising our glasses. "To my little sister, Tori, who has joined us in the Avengers Initiative and has already proven herself in the short time of being an Avenger. To Tori!"
     "To Tori!" everyone shouts, clinking their glasses in the center of the table.
     I reach to add my glass to the cluster. A drop of champagne drips down my hand, and onto the white tablecloth. I ignore it and smile with the others. I take a sip of my champagne, feeling its small bubbles popping. Everyone cheers and sits back down.
     "Thank you all," I say. "You've made me feel welcome, like I belong here."
     "You do belong here," Natasha says.
     "Personally, it feels like you've been here all along." Bruce says.
     "That's because I've known you for a while," I grin.
     Laughter breaks out and we all continue to chat.
     "You are another person that is going to bind us together." Clint says.
     "I can't wait for Thor to meet you!" Tony exclaims. "He'll absolutely love you."
     "In which way?" Steve asks, a hint of offense in his voice.
     "Woah," Tony mumbles. "I just realized how wrong that sounded. My bad."
     I roll my eyes while everyone chuckles.
     "I'm telling Thor when he comes back." Natasha playfully threatens.
     "No, no, please don't." Tony begs.
     "Why are you so scared of the guy?" I ask him.
     "Because that 'guy' is a god! Plus, he can burn my beard off." Tony says, petting his "perfectly" cut beard.
     "Yes, your beard. That is just so important to you." I say.
     "I love my beard,"
     "Thor is really going to like you, as a friend." Natasha says. "That's just how he is."
     "However, it sounds like everyone who has spoken about Thor, except Tony, is underestimating him. He is a god, after all." I say.
     "I agree," Steve says.
     "However, he weareths Mother's drapes." he says.
     "He's Asgardian, he can do what he wants." Bruce sassily says.
     "Like his 'brother'." Clint says.
     Everyone laughs except me. They soon notice and become slightly concerned.
     "What's wrong, Tori?" Tony asks.
     "Maybe it's just because I didn't fight when he came to New York," I say. "But Loki is misunderstood. I personally know how he feels. He wants attention and, well, to belong. Thor has always been in the spotlight, eliminating his chance of being in it. Plus, he was told that he was Asgardian when he was actually a Frost Giant. He'll do anything to try to take the spotlight from Thor - to belong, of course. And that led Loki to mischief. Take me for example: I would hide Tony's car keys, change documents, and sometimes add some particularly beautiful artwork on papers when I was very young. So, yes, Loki and I are similar. Our jealousy led us to mischief."
Tony chokes on his champagne. The room goes silent. Everyone's widened eyes are on me.
"You did what?" Tony asks, still recovering from the choking.
"You heard me," I say. "If we switched ages, you'd understand."
     "I understand," Steve says. "My jealousy didn't lead to mischief, but I did things similarly."
     "Like what?" I ask sweetly.
     "Well, I would try to show off and stop him from doing something." he informs me.
     "Him?" I ask.
     "I-It's something personal." Steve mutters.
     "Oh," I say. "I-I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to bring it up."
     "It's fine," he laughs. "You apologize too much."
     I blush and look down at my lap. The room is still silent, which is alright. Okay, not really. It's very unlike the Avengers to be quiet. I know that very well, considering that Tony is one.
     "Almost ready to head back?" Tony asks.