9. mistaken

At lunch, that day, I sat in the bathroom. I know...pathetic. I contemplated my situation. I gave my everything to Josh because he was supposed to take away the pain that Tim had caused me. I completely ditched Tim for Josh. Josh eventually got bored of me and went on to the next girl. Now I have no Josh and Tim probably hates me. So basically I sat in the bathroom stall, regretting all of my life choices. I realized that I had to come out sometime, and the less you postpone the better, so I grabbed my bag and walked out of the bathroom. Unfortunately, timing wasn't on my side because I ran right into Tim.

"Sorry." I muttered, not making eye contact and attempting to walk away, but Tim, being the football player he is, has fast reflexes, because as soon as I took a step his hand was on my arm.

"You have to talk to me at some point." He said. I shrugged, looking up at the guy who had been my best friend since freshman year.

"I thought you hated me." I whispered. "Because I chose Josh over you. But you were right. He-" I stopped talking. I looked down, a single tear falling to the floor, splashing against the stone floor and probably leaving a mark forever.

"I know what he did. I was at the party. I saw you bump into him, how your eyes filled with fear, and how you ran out. He didn't make it out of there without talking to me first." Tim smiled goofily. I looked up, confused.

"You-what? Punched him?" I asked. Tim nodded and I grinned. "Why? After I basically betrayed you, you still stuck up for me?"

"You're my best friend." Tim smiled and shrugged. I hugged him, feeling his arms sliding around me,
giving me the secure feeling of warmth.

"Just so you know, Katie and I aren't dating anymore." I looked up him, his words shocking me.

"Because of me? Oh no, I'm so-"

"Don't be, it wasn't your fault. She wasn't all that interested, and frankly, neither was I." He shrugged. I frowned.

"I'm sorry, Tim." I hugged him, my arms around his neck. He held me by my waist.

"I have other things to worry about anyways." He said.

"Oh yeah! The tonight's the big game isn't it?" I laugh.

"I'm surprised you almost forgot, cheer captain." Tim teased. I beamed, pushing him playfully. He nudged me back.

"Yeah, whatever, football captain." I teased him back.

"Time to go practice. See you later, Tay."

"See you!" I said. With sudden confidence I charged to my 7th period, cheer practice.

---------

The crowd was going crazy. At our home stadium, beneath the clear starry sky. The cheer leaders were chanting to get the crowd into the game. The ref's whistle shrilled and the opposing team kicked the ball to our end zone. Our team caught the ball and the game was on.