Chapter XIX: Thatch? Thatchy!

The Moby Dick

Thatch

Luffy had stuck to the fourth commander like glue since dinner. Thatch was sitting at his desk, staring at the report he needed to file for Marco. Sitting on the floor next to him sat Luffy doodling on some paper. Thatch gave his report one long look before calling it a night.

"Luffy? Your brothers are probably worried. It's pretty late, too. I think it's time for you to get ready for bed."

"Mmm. No! I want to spend more time with you."

Knock, knock.

"Commander Thatch? Is Luffy in there?"

"Come in."

The door creaked open to reveal a slightly wet Kit in his gold fox hybrid form. The kid had the audacity to shake himself like a dog, spraying water on Luffy and Thatch.

"Sorry. The rain starting to really pour in the last few minutes. Sabo thought it might be best to have someone escort Luffy back to our rooms. We can't have him slipping off the deck again. Namur is not exactly with us right now."

"Good idea. Eh, how are going to keep you two dry?"

"Not to worry. I can use my telekinesis to create an 'umbrella' around us. Didn't bother on the way here."

"Teleks-whatis?"

"Telekinesis. The power to manipulate objects with the mind, Luffy."

"So it's a mystery power, shishishi." Kit made a noise of exasperation before walking to the sitting boy and slinging him into his arms. A nine-year-old – even one as skinny as Luffy - normally would not look like something a fourteen-year-old with a dancer's build could lift, but Zoans had it easier.

"Yes little brother, my powers are quite mysterious. So, Thatch, have you figure out what the fruit is? Or what you're going to do with it?"

"Haruta may know. We're cycling commanders soon, so I figured I wait until then to decide. Pops said it was perfectly fine. I found it, so I can decide what to do with it." Kit peered around Thatch to the chest sitting on his desk.

"May I see it again?"

"Eh? Sure." Thatch stretched an arm to the far corner and unlocked the chest. The same purple fruit sat within it.

Where have I seen this? "Hmm. Still looks familiar, but I cannot say where I saw it," muttered Kit.

"Well, if you remember it later tonight, be sure to tell me tomorrow morning." Thatch shut the chest.

"One thing I can say is that the fruit doesn't feel right." The fourth commander quirked an eyebrow. In Kit's arms, Luffy squirmed.

"I don't like it that much, either. It makes me feel bad," mumbled Luffy, burying his face into Kit's chest.

"I'll take that into consideration." A crash of thunder startled Kit, making him almost drop Luffy when the younger boy suddenly wrapped his arms around him, upsetting the elder's balance. "You two probably should head back before the storm gets too bad. Come on, I'll take you."

"Thatch? May I take the fruit to study tonight? I think I saw it in one of my books, and the actual fruit might help jog my memory."

"I suppose that will be alright. Just don't eat it. A person can only eat one fruit in their lifetime. A second fruit would tear them apart. Do you want me to hold Luffy?"

"No, no. Luffy barely weighs anything to me."

"Hmph. Maybe if the fruit is a Zoan-type, I'll eat it. You guys certainly have some amazing strength and stamina." Thatch snatched the chest and tucked it under his arm. He opened the cabin door, and they were off. True to his word, Kit could create a force to shield the three from the wind and rain.