Chapter XIII: We Cherish You for You

Moby Dick

Ace

Ace had just settled down for a warm breakfast, coat held tightly shut. He still wished it was warmer, but really didn't mind the snow part. He had just shoved half of plate's worth of food into his mouth when Thatch strode over to the table with an oddly wide smile. Before the boy could swallow, Thatch's next words had him nearly choking.

"So, Ace, why didn't you mention to anyone that your birthday was just in a couple of days?" Sabo sitting next to him halted his conversation with Namur to forcefully pat his elder's back until Ace was out of danger from dying by surprise. Gulping in huge gasps of air, Ace finally turned to Thatch, his expression dark and closed.

"Who told you that?"

"I was asking around for your birth dates, so that I can put them into the crew's general log. Sabo was busy, Kit wouldn't wake up, so that left Luffy. Made an odd comment, though. Said something about how you don't like your birthday, but what kid doesn't like their birthday?"

"I don't. Haven't bothered celebrating it."

"As a part of this family, we have an obligation to celebrate it. I already came up with a few pl-"

"NO! I don't want to have a party or anything! I much rather everyone not even mention my birthday!"

"But Ace-" The raven-haired boy stood up and ran out the galley in fury, leaving the commander and the watching crew flabbergasted. Kit and Sabo exchanged a meaningful look before excusing themselves and running after him.

Kitsune

"Ace. Ace? Ace, open the damn door, you idiot!" Kit and Sabo stood outside their cabin. Sabo currently had his fist pounding on the door. "I thought we've already discussed this issue back on Dawn Island. Hurry up and come out. I know you didn't eat much at breakfast, you can't stay in there all day!" "Sabo, he's not going to come out anytime soon." "Aargh!" Sabo knocked his head against the door, turned around, and slid down to sit on the cold planks.

"Screaming and yelling at him never worked before and will hardly work now. I thought he got over this after we made our vows as brothers, but I guess that sentiment of his just retreated into his subconscious," sighed Kit. They have been pleading, demanding, and threatening their brother for half an hour. Breakfast had evidently finished as Luffy finally bounced over to see what his brothers were doing.

"Hi Kit, hi Sabo! Where's Ace?"

"Luffy, must you have mentioned Ace's birthday to Thatch?"

"Oops. I forgot. Is Ace mad at me?"

Sabo shook his head. "No, honestly I think he's well of aware of how honest you are, Luffy. He's just upset that Thatch tried to make a big deal about his upcoming birthday."

"Ace's existential issues do rear their heads all too often. I thought he really did have gotten over it, especially after our talk a year ago. Luffy, by your blank look, I guess you still don't understand what I'm talking about? You know how Ace hates his dad? He also believes that because of that man's blood, he isn't worry of living. I figured after he stopped asking those question to every damn stranger he had finally realized that his parent didn't determine our love for him," explained Kit. If he had ears, they would be drooping, tail(s) trailing on the ground.

"We should probably just give him time," conceded Sabo. "Luffy, why don't we go play a game? Kit?"

"Hmm. No thanks. I think I will just take a nap."

Hours later

Ace

He hadn't heard a word outside the cabin for a while. His stomach grumbled, but the raven felt a sour twist about eating anything right now. The cabin had begun to wear on him. He decided to sneak a glance outside, saw no one at the moment, and tiptoed out for some fresh air.