Chapter 19

Chapter 19

            It was around the time school usually ended for me. The doorbell rang. I grunted as I went to answer it. I was fed up with dealing with my dad this whole day, and now someone was interrupting me while I was watching re-runs of Pretty Little Liars on TV? The episode I was watching right now involved a lot of Noah. Some people at school think I look a lot like him; they are crazy.

            “Aiden?” I asked in surprise. “What are you doing here?”

            “Hello to you, too, Jay,” Aiden said sarcastically and let himself in. “The question is why are you here?”

            “Because I live here?” I answered in a ‘duh’ tone.

            “Right. But why weren’t you in school today? I know you didn’t tell Aubrey the complete reason,” he told me.

            I sighed. “Okay, you know me too well.” I slumped onto the couch next to him.

            “Damn right I do. Now tell me what happened.”

            “I overslept and woke up with a hangover,” I whispered.

            Aiden narrowed his eyes. “Why the hell were you drinking?”

            “Long story,” I said.

            “I have time. That’s why I came to see my best bud.”

            “Okay. So I woke up in the middle of night to a loud thud. I went downstairs and found my dad passed out drunk on the floor with a half-empty bottle of vodka. I put him on the couch to sleep and somehow I woke up with a hangover and an empty bottle in my hand.”

            “Why the hell was your dad drinking?” Aiden questioned.

            “Because my wife fucking left me, Aiden,” Dad sniffled from the top of the staircase and went back into his bedroom.

            My mouth dropped opened and Aiden’s eyes widened a bit. “What is he talking about, Jayden? I already know about your mother.” Yeah, of course Aiden knew. He was my best friend.

            I lowered my voice. “She divorced him yesterday.”

            “What? Why? How?” Aiden freaked out.

            “Papers from the mail. They said she remarried some asshole,” my tone hardened.

            “I can’t believe that.”

            “Me neither.” I put my hands in my face. “I still can’t believe she’d do this to us.”

            I felt a hand on my shoulder. “It going to be okay, Jayden. I mean not to pry, but is it going to make that a big difference? She was already gone for so long.”

            I looked at Aiden. He did make a big point there. “But I will never forget her.”

            “I’m not asking you to. But you can’t let this hold you back. You need to move on and live your life,” he said calmly.

            “I think those words are more rather suited to say to my dad.”

            “I agree.”