Last Chance

As I sat in the doctors office waiting to be called, I thought about everything that has happened these past 8 months, almost 9, since Aiden left. Eight months and I still have not spoken a word to him- or, really,he hasn't spoken a word to me. Not a phone call or even a letter has been sent my way. Even so, I pray to God every day that he will keep him safe. I've been watching the news, and there is some serious things going on over seas and I'm sure Aiden is in the midst of it all. My heart still breaks when I think of him being all alone.

A nurse called me back and I followed her into the dim exam room. I slowly and cautiously crawled onto the table and lifted up my shirt for her so she could put the gel onto my stomach. 

"Eight months, congrats!" She exclaimed as she put that damn cold gel on my stomach making me flinch. 

As she started the sonogram process, she felt the need to ask about Aiden. "So, is the father at work or not in the picture." 

These nurses always ask me "where is the father?". I've grown to be patient with them, but it still irritates me. 

"Not in the picture." I said, hoping she would let it slide. 

She nodded her head, " I know what you're going though. My husband left me when I was pregnant with his twins for his secretary because she was pregnant too.  And get this... now he wants to have a relationship with the kids and he wants them to know their half brother. I told him 'oh, no, oh, hell no, over my dead body.' He is never seeing those kids."

"Sorry, that's horrible, but I'm glad you're putting your foot down and staying strong. you sound like a good mother." 

She smiled and said everything looked good and left to get the doctor. Well I guess it could be worse for me...Aiden could have left me for his pregnant mistress...who knows, maybe he did. I laughed at the thought. If he did that, I would probably find them and kill them both.. 

The doctor came in, interrupting me from my insane made up scenario. 

"Everything looks perfect!  Very strong and healthy already. For eight months, he is developing very quickly and I wouldn't be surprised if he came a little early, which would not be a problem at this point."

"do you still think a c-section is our only option?"

"we can try naturally but with your frame I just can't see it happening naturally." 

We talked a little more about some other questions but we were done shortly and I was on my way to work. After work, I picked up groceries for Marie, Bella, and I and made my way home. 

Bella is already 4 months old and is cute as a button. Once Marie held her, she decided she would keep her. Since then, she has been a great mother. She even got a job and is considering going back to school. They stay at my house still, but she hopes that they will be able to move out in the next year or two. I really don't mind her staying here with me, we make a good team. 

When I got home, I made dinner and doing so, Marie and Bella came in. She had Bella in one hand, and the mail in the other. 

"Oh, sorry, I totally forgot to stop and get it!" I said walking over and freeing her left hand up. 

"Look at the top one." She spoke with big eyes. 

I slowly looked at it and noticed familiar hand writing addressed to me. It was Aiden's. 

"I'll finish dinner, okay." She said shewing me out of the kitchen and placing Bella is her swing. 

I went onto the porch and sat on the porch swing that Aiden made me.