Chapter 12: Dinner with the devil

Des stood there, rather proudly, holding the side of his belts. His hands were bruised and badly beaten, they looked freshly bruised, and I remembered how Harry had bruises lining his jaw...

He smiled crookedly at me, showing his yellow stained teeth. 

I cringed.

He put out his hand for me to shake. A smirk identical to Harry's infamous ones played on his lips.

I hesitantly reached out and shook it, pulling away too quickly earning a glare from my mother and a grunt from my father.

Louis stood off to the side awkwardly with his hands clasped behind his back. His blue eyes met mines and I rolled my eyes before tearing our mini stare down.

"Excuse me, I need to change into proper clothing if you don't mind." I cleared my throat carefully.

"Make sure you're back down in 10 minutes. We are having dinner with Mr. Styles tonight. Okay?" My mother nodded respectfully towards Des who half bowed making the blading spot in the middle of his head visible.

I cringed, but I still nodded slowly.

"Be hasty now." My father smiled giving a gentle, yet urgent push to my lower back. I hissed through my teeth and adjusted my bag on my shoulder and gave Des a small nod and smile before marching up the stairs taking two at a time. I could feel their eyes on me as I tried to fleet up the spiral case.

I pushed through the door of my room and once I was over the threshold, I tossed my bags to the floor and flopped down belly first on the plush bed. This could not be fucking happening. An argument with Harry was enough, now his abusive alcoholic father is my house joining hands with my father?

I didn't even know what to deem about this, I didn't feel like thinking. Harry was upset, or "Jealous" rather of Louis being here, and his mind was probably racing right now, but I wanted him to at least explain myself to him? I always felt the need to explain myself to harry, or, or have him be anything but upset with me, because honestly I hated it. I hated how he clenched his jaw, and flared his nose, and raised his voice, these things wouldn't normally bother me, but the fact that the rancor was aimed towards me made me feel guilty. I didn't want Harry being upset with me, it made me feel weak and vulnerable, something that I already was.

Guilt; My ultimate weakness.

I sighed in exasperation, and finally trudged to the bathroom and washed up for Dinner with the devil.

Dinner with Des.

                                                                              ***

"So, what college you thinkin' bout going to Stella?" Des asked. 

I picked at my broccoli, and stabbed the plate on accident making a loud 'Clink' sound. Everyone diverted their attention to me. 

I mumbled a 'Sorry' and continued picking at my food. I knew I was dodging Des' questions, but it was because I didn't want to answer them. I didn't want to tell him about my future, or how my day was at school, or how many A's I scored on my report card last semester. I didn't want to be in a serious conversation with Des, I didn't want to talk to Des at all, it made my stomach churn and do flips thinking about it.

My father cleared his throat at the head of the table.

"She's going to-"

"I don't know yet." I cut. I didn't want him telling my college choices. The colleges he listed were always the ones he wanted me to go to, so I could follow his footsteps; Harvard, Yale, Princeton, all those expensive, high maintenance schools that we could afford to pay. I didn't want to go to the those colleges though, I wanted to follow my own dreams, be my own person. I wanted to be a journalist.