Chapter 25 - Sleepless night's

Start from the beginning

Sunshine: I miss you a lot Chubby. I wish I could be with you .I am trying to get you here as soon as possible.

Sunshine: love you loads, Marjaan.

I had a smile on my face after seeing these messages. He would message me whenever he could and I replied to him as well

Chubby: I feel lonely even when I am in a crowd, I am studying well and I hope I get better grades than last time; I have kept alarm daily for the vitamins so that I won't forget and you're there to remind me. Farza deede visited me yesterday and Ummi called me. I miss you a lot as well.

I love you too sunshine.

I hadn't stepped out of my house ever since he left and going to college felt like a task and since it was an exam the prospect didn't make me feel any better. I went in the same bus i used to take, but, sadly there was no sleep. I craved to get some sleep and I was really looking forward to my bus sleeping routine. But all my routine went out of the window.

I reached college and flipped through my book waiting for the others to come.

Diane came first and she hugged me.

"Why are you not picking calls? And who am I supposed to call when I have doubts? If I fail, you're dead" Diane started semi yelling at me.

"I am really sorry, Di, I wasn't in a mood to talk, don't worry l am fine now and why didn't you call Batul, I am sure she would have had all answers." I said in my defence.

"She would start off with the jargons and she would inform me the potions she has covered and that would make me feel like I haven't studied anything. Am sure she will top this time."

"I hope so too, she is so bright. Mashallah and she does give it all her time"

Just when we were talking Batul rushed towards us

I felt much livelier and happier around these people l should have called them home, but with the finals coming there was no time for relaxing.

Batul gave us last minute lessons and we went through her self-made question paper. She was our nerd.

The bell rang and there was no sign of Hima, I started panicking she always did this to me, she would come late for exams and I would freak out I would forget half of what I studied just thinking about her.

Hima came in just before the invigilator did and l was relieved. Long back in our first year, Hima came forty minutes late for sociology exam and I was worried sick throughout. All I could think of was whether she was in an accident or some catastrophe. I ended up getting my first C for that exam and l always emotionally black mailed her to come early so that I won't end up with bad grades. It worked... to an extent.

I waved from the other end and she waved back.​​

The college that was always colourful and with too many lively occupants to a cinematic degree, was deadpan that day. What Hima would call later, "a memorable experience of kenopsia!"

Time dragged on, and the examination hall was almost deadpan except for the constant whirring of the fan and occasional sound of an answer sheet being flipped over. With 90 minutes left for the 3 hours semester exam, the silence of the lambs were rudely interrupted by a confident voice that called out, "ma'am..?" waving her answer sheet. Hima and I exchanged smirks while Batul was generously applying whitener over her paper and blowing it to dry. Diane, on the other hand, wouldn't look up from her paper even if she's nominated for the Oscar awards.

I signalled Hima about where I would be waiting and made a dash for the exit while a perplexed examiner went to my pages trying to gauge what kind of wizardry I was up to.