Chapter 19

Author's note:

So the reason I'm posting so early is because the region that I live in may experience power outages very soon as we're getting two feet of snow soon. As always, I really love all the comments and votes, especially predictions. Seeing your thoughts on current situations in the chapter is never boring.

Also: if you think I've forgotten about Hector and Ty, don't worry ;) maybe you'll see a little of one in the next chapter.

***

Andre watches me run northwest, hope brimming in his eyes. I didn't ask what he would say to the others. I don't want to know. As I duck through brush and between trees, I wonder if I will hold up my bargain. On one hand, I've got the chance of bringing down this hellish tradition once and for all, but on the other, I must expose my status as a conditioned, the fact that I sought out help, and those things will pull me into a ghastly lime light, both resulting in federal facilities that are not too kind. But who the fuck am I to let other Omegas continue to suffer for my selfish wants? Who the fuck am I to do that?

I stop for a moment to regain my breath. I hadn't noticed, but I'm at the edge of the north side fence. I stare up at the mighty watch towers and they frown down at me. I can see a few shadowy figures inside the tower, either moving about or keeping watch on the Grounds. I stand there for a moment, wondering if I could take advantage of them somehow, when I hear a rustle in the bushes. I take off, not wanting to risk investigating. It could be a stalking Alpha for all I know.

I let my mind wonder into unknown territory about the tattoo on Andre's chest. The Omega I met when I was little, the Beta guard, the girl who held me before I dove into the river, Karina. All with a tattoo of the symbol on their skin. It makes sense that Karina is an informant of sorts. I'm curious on how many others they have stationed within the Run, or maybe even more Runs in different towns, cities, countries. Who knows how big they are. Who knows how powerful they are.

I take a couple breaks, either to regain my stamina or to examine the bushes to see if there are any berries. I manage to gather a few blue berries, but they do nothing to satisfy. As the sun starts to set, I follow its path of rays, not exactly sure if I'm going north or south. From what I vaguely remember of the map, if I've already crossed the river, then I should easily be herded north and only north. The river cuts directly in the middle, making it hard to lose track of my side of the river, as I am confined to always head north.

As the sun begins to whither in the evening sky, I manage to accidentally run back into the fence and the towers. They stare down menacingly, almost like begrudging faces of stone statues. I stand out in the open for a moment, wondering what they would do if they saw me, but I quickly head back to the cover of the forest as a shadow appears in one of the windows. I stick near the treeline and settle in a tree for the night. I climb high enough to avoid nasty Runners in the night but short enough to where I'm under the shadow of the watchtower. I settle against the grating bark, trying to find some comfortable position, but I know that I will get very little sleep tonight. When I do manage to faintly drift off, the slightest rustle jolts me awake. Right before I'm about to enter my dreams, light slams against my eyelids and floods my vision. I almost fall out of the tree, the sudden occurrence snapping me awake. I brace myself against the tree, ready to climb higher, when I notice the watchtowers. The light floods from large construction lights positioned at the top of the fences. I can even make out what looks like to be speakers next to them.

They must keep the lights on to see injured runners better in the night.

I groan and shift back to my original position, throwing my hood up and covering my eyes. I ignore the harsh glow of the lights staining my legs and eventually fall to sleep, my dreams black and faceless. Moons shine and dissipate in the dark sky, while wolves with bloodied snouts prowl the river sides.