Strep Throat-Louis

Start from the beginning

He nodded. "Just tired, Haz," he answered.

Harry looked at him skeptically, but didn't push it. "Here," he said holding out the steaming mug for Louis to take. "I made you a cuppa. I figured you'd like one since you hardly ate," he said, secretly wanting Louis to get something in his system, especially since he looked ill, but wouldn't admit it. He knew that Louis never liked to admit being sick because he didn't like all the extra attention on himself, which annoyed Harry because he enjoyed taking care of him.

Louis took the cup, even though he didn't want it. So as not to hurt his feelings or cause concern, he smiled at Harry before taking the smallest sip he could manage. He fought back a wince as he swallowed, and forced a smile, which caused Harry to beam at him brightly.

Louis placed the mug on the coffee table, and snuggled more deeply under the covers. Harry sat on the sofa and cuddled up to Louis.

"Go ahead and sleep, babe," he told Louis, to which Louis eagerly obliged.

*

Harry shook Louis awake when they reached the venue, and they made their way inside and began rehearsing for their show that night. Louis did his best, but his voice kept cracking and he sounded really hoarse. Harry kept shooting him worried glances, which Louis would just shrug off, not wanting Harry to worry.

Once rehearsals were over, Harry rushed over to him. "Louis, what's wrong? It's obvious that something is bothering you. Please tell me," he practically begged.

Louis plopped into a nearby chair and leaned forward, resting his head in his hands.

"What is it, babe? You're scaring me," he said, rubbing his hand over Louis's back.

Louis's throat felt ten times worse than it did that morning, all of the singing taking its toll. At this point, he didn't care if he knew. He knew he needed help.

"Haz," he croaked out, his voice barely audible. "My throat is killing me. It hurts so bad and feels swollen. I know I have fever, as well," he said, looking up and meeting Harry's eyes.

It broke Harry's heart to see so much pain in Louis's eyes. He reached out to hug him tightly.

"Come on, boo. Let's get you to a doctor," he said, and, for once, Louis didn't protest.

*

They went to a local health clinic, figuring it'd be quicker than sitting in the waiting room of the ER for hours. Instead, they only waited for 45 minutes before his name was called. Harry made to get up and follow, but Louis rested his hand on his shoulder to stop him.

"I'm a big boy, Harry," he said, grinning at Harry, knowing that he had the tendency to worry.

Harry chuckled. "Alright, boo. I'll be right here when you're done."

Twenty minutes later, Louis came out, and Harry jumped up to meet him.

"Strep," Louis whispered out. "I've got a prescription to pick up."

Harry nodded and led Louis to the car. They got his prescription before heading back to the venue. As soon as he got inside, Harry handed him a water bottle and he took his first dose of medication, hoping that it would help soon.

*

That night, the boys prepared for the concert, management having told Louis that he'd still have to perform.

Harry pulled him into a hug and kissed him sweetly on the cheek. "It'll be alright, babe. Me and the other boys will look out for you," he reassured him.

Louis smiled and pecked his cheek, and then they were ushered onto the stage. Liam made sure to inform the crowd of Louis's condition, so no one was offended when he struggled to sing his solo. His voice was so hoarse that he could barely get anything out. When his solo for the second song came around, his voice cracked, and he wasn't able to finish, realizing he had completely lost his voice.

Louis pointed to his throat and shook his head, trying to let everyone know what had happened. The song finished, Niall strumming the last chord, before turning to Louis, "Lost your voice, mate?" he questioned, to which Louis simply nodded. "Aww, that's too bad. Okay, lads, we're gonna have to take up the slack," he said.

The show continued on, Louis walking around the stage, smiling but not singing, the boys taking turns doing his solos, occasionally letting the crowd sing his parts. Louis was overwhelmed. Instead of the fans being mad or disappointed, they were completely supportive and sang for him with gusto. He felt so loved.

*

When the show was over, they all piled into the bus, Louis mouthing goodnight and heading off to bed. Just as he was drifting off to sleep, he felt someone climb into bed with him and wrap his arms around him. He smiled, breathing in Harry's scent.

"Harry," Louis barely managed to whisper out, his voice raspy.

"Yeah, love?"

"I may be sick, but I'm still the big spoon," he said cheekily.

Harry laughed and unwrapped his arms from around Louis, letting him wrap his arms around him instead.

"Alright, sicko," he said affectionately. "Love you."

"Love you, Hazza."

They slept peacefully, and in the morning, Louis felt much better, only having a slightly sore throat, which disappeared after a few days, thanks to the medication and Harry's constant care.

***

I hope you liked it!  Please comment and tell me what you think!  Also, I hope you all have a Happy New Year!