Chapter 3

I stretch out tiredly and yawn. My back aches from laying in the sand, and Im all itchy. I force my heavy eyelids open and look around, trying to get my eyes to focus. I look around for Travis but come up empty, panic settles over me as I jolt up and look for him. I stand up and look around for him, and finally seeing him next to Skylar. I sigh in relief and timidly walk towards them.

"Hey!" Says Travis and he sprints toward me. "Skylar has been drawing in the sand with me!" He giggles and his little hand clasps mine. Travis leads me over toward where Skylar is smiling at us and sitting.

"Hey there." She waves and flashes me her white teeth. Her hair is tousled and unkempt but she still manages to look pretty. I wave and smile back, then look over their artwork in the sand.

"Thats you!" Travis laughs and points. "I drew it, do you like it?" He asks shyly and drops my hand. I scan over the artwork and smile. Its a little stick figure with straight hair. It smiles and has a little dress on.

"I love it." I smile widely and he claps and drops back into the sand and continues drawing.

"Hey, can I talk to you?" Skylar asks me just as Im ready to sit down and relax.

"Um, sure." I say awkwardly and I reach out a hand to her. She takes it and I pull her up, then walks a short distance away from Travis.

"A small group of people wanted to go out later and look for water and food. I wanted to know if you wanted to go, so I could tell the others." The brunette says, running a hand through her hair and putting a hand on her waist.

"Yeah, I'll go. But someone needs to watch Travis." I say quietly, then look back at the small child who laughs to himself as he draws.

"I'll get someone to look after him. You can come with me, we're going in pairs so we cover more ground." Skylar nods. "We leave soon, so be ready." She walks off.

I watch as she walks and I can't help but notice how her black tank top clings to her thin figure. She wears light blue jean shorts and has black flip flops on her feet, the sand being kicked up after her as she walks.

I walk over to Travis again and his large round eyes watch me carefully as I draw a small 3D cube. "Woah! How'd you do that?!" He asks mesmerized by the shape.

I laugh and take his hand in mine, then he points his pointer finger out and I draw the shape with his finger instead of mine. His mouth is agape and he tries to copy it without me this time but it looks slightly messy. "I can't do it as good as you!" He complains.

"Just practice Travis, you'll get it. I had to practice a lot when I first learned how to do it. Practice makes perfect." I say patiently and he nods slowly and tries drawing it again.

[•][•][•][•][•][•][•][•]

"Time to go." Skylar says quietly and watched Travis and I with a small smile on her face. I look up at her and nod, then tell Travis I'll be back soon. He nods and continues drawing the cube.

After a couple of hours of walking in silence, Skylar clears her throat. "Are you two related?" She asks curiously.

"No, I found him after the crash. His sister died right in front of him.. So Im just watching out for him." I trail off.

"Thats sweet of you. He seems like a bright kid." She says nonchalantly as we walk into the forest.

"He is." I smile at her and we walk in silence. "How are you.. handling everything?" I ask quietly.

She gives me a small look. "Im doing fine. I have hope that we'll be found soon, though my family probably doesn't miss me." She snorts and shakes her head.

"Im sure they do." I tell her thoughtfully. She laughs without humor.

"My parents decided to send me away to a boarding school all they way across the country. Thats why I was on that plane, because they didn't want me around anymore. They barely ever acknowledged me so I started to act out and get their attention. Of course now that Im here you can see how that worked out." She tells me lowly, her voice is hoarse.

I remain silent, pondering what she said. Skylar leads the way as we walk aimlessly through the jungle, stepping over large trunks and rocks as we walk. "So why were you on the plane?" Asks Skylar after awhile.

"Well-" I start but immediately stop. The faint sound of running water is barely audible, yet I strain my ears trying to pick up what direction its coming from.

"Well what?" Asks Skylar, completely unaware I hear water.

"Shh!" I hush her, holding out my hand in the 'Wait a second' way. I close my eyes and listen harder, realizing its coming from the left of where we are.

"Follow me!" I say and sprint in the direction the sound is coming from. Skylar complains from behind me, but nonetheless runs after me. My heartbeat pounds in my ears as we run, my legs ache and my breathing is heavy. I force myself to push on and I run faster, the sound of water becoming louder.

Finally reaching the stream, my eyes catch on a large mountain of rocks with a waterfall pouring over them. My heart leaps with joy and I laugh, smiling. I wheeze heavily considering my Asthma, but I walk toward the large body of water. Skylar is behind me and gives a giddy laugh, then pats me on the back. "You did it!" She says happily.

The sun sets over the horizon, the sky morphing into a mix of the colors orange and yellow. Brightly green grass surrounds the body of water, and some flowers sprout out of the ground.

"Are you okay?" Skylar asks breathless, as she notices my heavy breathing.

I pant and give her a thumbs up. "Asthma, Im fine." I reassure her.

She nods carefully and takes off her tank top. "What are you doing?" I ask caught off guard as she strips.

"Going for a swim." She says bluntly and shrugs off her shorts. Skylar wears blue boy shorts and a matching bra. My stomach flutters as she dives into the water eagerly and I race over to the edge looking for her.

My eyes scan over the water anxiously, and nerves start to invade my stomach. "Skylar?!" I call out panicked. Where was she?! Just as Im about to jump in after her, she pops up and water rolls down the sides of her face. She laughs happily and holds a hand out to me, I take it and just as I go to pull her up; she pulls me in.

The water submerges me and washes the dirt from my body. I kick myself upwards and breathe in deeply when I break the surface. "I thought you drowned!" I exclaim angrily, not even taking notice to the fact that she pulled me in.

"I didn't." She laughs and pushes herself up and over so she was on the ground and not in the water. I grunt and she pulls me up, her touch making me feel all happy inside.

"Come on, we got to get back before its too dark. The others will be glad to know we found water." She nods and dresses herself. Then we walk off back towards camp.