Chapter 7 - The Hollow

Start from the beginning

At last something was vocalised. "Shall you not aid him?" Mundus asked in reference to Dante. His voice was eerily calm.

Reyna's stoic expression wrinkled into anger. It was always about him. Always about Mundus. Reyna's hand exploded into a ball of blue, the action matching the ferocity of her eyes; her fist connected with Mundus' jaw.

His head snapped to the side with a cringing crack. Tiny flecks of blood dotted the air. When he turned back to Reyna, his shocked face was a satisfying sight.

"Nice shot, Reyna!" Dante's voice was heard.

Mundus' shock evolved to amazement. The Berserker was on his feet, stomach wound almost completely mended. The only sign of the attack was his torn and bloody shirt framing a pinkish gash.

 The only sign of the attack was his torn and bloody shirt framing a pinkish gash

"He didn't need my help." Reyna's bitter statement answered Mundus' earlier question.

The demon smirked as he wiped the blood off his already healed jaw and lip. "Gahn has accomplished quite a feat in the training sessions he bestowed upon the two of you."

Dante gripped his sword's hilt tighter. "Yes. The two of us."

Mundus caught the meaning of his emphasis and blindly thrust his sword at him. Dante was quick to dodge the attack.

"You know. You don't seem to move as fast now. At least not compared to Gahn. I won't be caught off guard again," Dante said.

Angered, Mundus attacked again only to have Dante parry and arch his gigantic sword up against his chest. Mundus was able to jump back from most of the assault's momentum. Instead of an open wound across his torso, the demon sported a thin, red line that quickly closed.

"No, Master! Master must not attack out of anger!" Lina's worried tone filled Mundus' head.

He snapped at her to be quiet but knew her words were true. Dante was staring at him, his open posture mocking him to attack.

"Please, Master. Leave it to this one," Lina said.

Mundus paused for a second only to agree with her suggestion. He lunged towards Dante and swung his sword. Dante once again ducked, but this time, it was what Mundus wanted him to do. With his free hand, the demon caught and clutched Dante's head in a vicious grip. The touch immobilized the Berserker.

Through his fanned fingers, Dante could see Mundus' red, gleaming eyes. A wisp of white tainted them. It grew until it took the general form of a face. The feminine features of a woman took shape until a white, transparent mask hovered over Mundus' head. It was Lina.

Her torso appeared as well, attached to Mundus like breastplate armor. She stretched out her arm and trailed over Mundus' own: the one that lead to Dante's latched face.

Empowering Mundus with her essence, Lina draped an Illusion onto the mortal. Immediately, Dante felt hot and his skin began to redden. He felt his skin shatter and with it, he was released, but nothing seemed different. In fact, Mundus had an astonished expression on his face.