Chapter 48: Sleeping With Two Eyes Open

Start from the beginning

Should I get holy water then? I’m sure there’s a church somewhere with those little dishes in the front. Maybe if I threw some at him he will melt like in the movies, and get what he deserves. What am I saying there wouldn’t be any holy water here! It’s Vampire land! I jumped onto the bed, and sat cross legged. My eyes searched around the dimmed, freezing room.

Ugh I can’t use these sheets at this Motel, who knows what the hell is on them. I stared at the puke green sheets, and made a face. I bet they were white when they bought them. Wait…

My head shot over the bed, and I grabbed the pink blanket. My eyes darted from the Motel blanket, to the fuzzy blanket. Then my eyes darted to the window, to the door just encase someone was watching my ever move. I narrowed my eyes one last time around the room, and returned my attention to the blanket. It seems as if the enemies blanket is ironically safer than my new base camp. Placing it in my lap, I moved around the fuzzy pieces. This is the one he wrapped me in when I was cold. My face lowered to the blanket, and I sniffed it. My nose dug deeper into the soft blanket. It smells like the cologne, coconut conditioner, and a bit like pine trees. Leaning back on the bed I got comfortable and threw the blanket at my feet.

 It smells like…Fang Face. I don’t know how long I rolled around on the bed and stared around the room, avoided the covers with my nose. Sleep didn’t come easily, and I woke up numerous times. But in the middle of the night I finally moved until I ended up in a position I liked.

Of course it just happened to be me wrapped nice and tight in the fuzzy pink blanket.

*****************************************************************************************************

As soon as I woke up, I wish I hadn’t.

My face is face first in the covers. “Ugh gross!” I screamed, and fell off the bed. My body hit the floor with a thump, and I quickly recovered. A loud noise echoed the room, and I twirled in a circle looking for the source.

That’s when I realized it’s my stomach. I looked down, and rubbed it. I need to eat before I pass out. I changed into one of the new pink plaid t-shirts, a pink tank top, and light jeans. What? I kind of like the color pink now! Slipping on the purple fuzzy boots, I took the money I stuck in the suitcase into the back of my jeans, locked the door, and left the room. The walk down the hallway was quick, and I kept looking around to see if anyone was following me.

I threw a fifty on the front desk, “Thanks I’ll be back later!” I hollered, and creped out the front door. A dark clouded sky welcomed me, and I shivered instantly. Is it going to snow? What day is it? I made my way down the sidewalk, with my hands in the pockets of my white sweatshirt. I nervously avoided everyone’s gaze, and looked at the signs above me. I noticed some kind of coffee shop, and I made myself go inside.

The place is made with a lot of dark wood, and instantly the smell of coffee and vanilla filled my nose. Not that many people are in here, except for a couple eating lunch, and a few people reading the newspaper. I walked to the glass area next to the counter, and looked at the delish treats. My eyes locked on an apple fritter, and I pointed for the guy to get it. Next I bought a Vanilla latte, and a bag of sour cream and onion chips, a everything bagel with butter, a few water bottles, and a brown cloth bag that has the coffee place logo on it. After giving the older man my money, and casually asked him the time and date He told me it’s November seventeenth and it’s two in the afternoon.

“Thanks, I kind of lost track of time,” I explained nervously, realizing he’s not exactly human. He looks older, but his face still looks completely flawless. His eyes are a light brown, and his hair is a dark grey.

“No problem, are you new here?” he questioned, starting to scrub the counter. “Don’t see many of your kind around here.”

I took a breath, clutching my items to my chest. He’s a nice man, not all vampires are jerks. “Yeah, I don’t know exactly how long I’m going to—“ In the corner of my eye I saw the man with the newspaper switch positions so he faced me. That was just coincidental. The older man stopped cleaning, and also glanced at the newspaper guy. Is it Valentine?

“You ok mam?”

“Yeah…I’m fine. I just um…tired is all,” I replied, forcing a smile. I turned to find a seat, still eying the man with the newspaper. Something’s off about that guy.

I moved close to window and sat by myself. At the moment I feel extremely huddled and small as I eat my lunch. After finishing the apple fritter, I drank half a water bottle, and eyed the man with the newspaper.

He hasn’t turned that page in a long time. I watched as right on cue he turned the page. Slowly putting the items in the brown cloth bag, I kept my thoughts blank.

“Gee I can’t wait to test out my new silver switchblade,” I mumbled to myself, and put the bag over my shoulder.

Keep your thoughts blank, Cassie. I stood up, and made my way to the door. My eyes locked onto a pair of black eyes, and a lovely ski mask. Only I would have someone like that watching me.  As soon as I came outside I made a left and sprinted towards the Antique shop. “Help!” I screamed, as I ran and dropped the bag against the wall. People jumped out of the way, and I looked behind me to see the guy in the coffee shop chasing me. He neared, and turned around to slapped him square in the chest. The masked guy didn’t even blink, and swung at me. His fist collided with my stomach, and I fell to the ground. “Oof!”

He jumped on top of me on the ground, and I clawed at his face. He held my arms down, and I struggled for someone to help me. Nobody is around to do so. “You’re dead ugly bitch,” the stranger mumbled, pulling back his fist.

I wiggled from under his knee and brought my fist to his face. His jaw made a cracking noise even under the cloth. I punched him again with my left hand. The attacker fell off of me and I quickly got up. ‘Who’s dead now bitch!”  I snapped, and kicked him in the stomach. He rolled over, and started to get up.

Shit, shit! I looked back and forth between both sides of the sidewalk to see it empty. An idea popped into my head and I sprinted in the same direction I was going. I spotted the store sign in front of me, and pushed myself harder. I made it up the steps, and turned to face the person chasing me. “Where’d they go?” I asked myself, looking around frantically. I clutched my injured stomach, and felt the apple fritter I ate struggle to stay down.  

Maybe I should have stayed in the sketchy Motel.

*************************************************

I hurried back to the Motel, with the brown bag I bought. On the way back I picked it up and literally ran at full speed until I saw the building I’m staying at. The man at the front door isn’t there, and really I’m glad he’s not. Making my way to my room I looked behind me many times, and then I turned the hallway to my door. “Holy…crap.”

I ran over to the door, and dropped the bag on the floor. A girl is lying in front of my door, with her eye lids fluttering like crazy. She has a red long sleeved shirt and a skirt on. By the way it’s practically winter. What made my jaw drop is the two fresh puncture marks on her neck, and a heart in blood around it. “Read,” she mumbled, and handed me the note in her hand. She stood up, and wobbled down the hallway.  

“Wait are you ok?” I yelled after her, but she already disappeared. Okay…

I reluctantly opened the small note she gave me with my heart pounding, and instantly screamed in anger after I read it.

Like the little heart thing on her neck? Maybe I’ll do that too you later, but I won't be as neat. You could never pull off that skirt byt the way; your ass is too fat. Go for a run later on. So maybe the next time someone attacks you, you actually run and don’t skip like a damn Bunny.

-V

I re-read it in confusion. What did he say about my butt? How does he know about that fight? I was not skipping..I was galloping! I can’t believe he saw that whole thing and didn’t help me! I pushed into my room, and slammed the door behind me. For the next four hours I literally sat on the bed, staring at the wall in front of me. I hate him so much. I hope I get the chance to run him over with his precious Porsche. Searching through the bag of clothes I bought; I took out yoga pants, a sports bra and a t-shirt. I slipped them on, and put my hair into a pony tail. Stretching out my legs and back I prepared myself for the jog.

Oh I’m going for that run. But I'm only going just so I can kick Valentine's ass the next time I see him.