4. Is It So Wrong That You Make Me Strong

Start from the beginning

If anything, Zayn and Liam were too good and pure for this ugly world. Maybe that was why God or whatever supernatural being up there decided to pick the two best flowers in the field.

Louis decided it was about time to shut his brain off for the night. He could wallow in his grief tomorrow and the day after and for the rest of his life. Tonight, he just needed some sleep and pretend to be strong for himself. For Harry.

Louis plucked out Isabella's toy duck and plopped on the sofa. He smiled to himself, reminiscing memories of crashing out on Liam's and Zayn's sofa when he was too wasted to drive home. He never asked them if he could stay, always lurking around the house until late hours of the night and hoping they wouldn't notice his Adidas trainers were still sitting by the door. He slept thinking they would hang him by tomorrow only to wake up to the smell of chocolate chip pancakes. They tolerated him that much. They might have even loved him. Louis didn't know now—couldn't bear to think that he couldn't ask them anymore.

Louis cuddled the fluffy duck to his chest, his eyelids droopy and heavy. Sleep started to drift into his body, making it feel like he was sinking into the sofa cushions. For a brief moment, Louis felt his face spread into a slow smile because Liam and Zayn were now watching over him like the angels they always were.

And if it made him feel any safer, no one else but Louis had to know.

*

Louis and Harry were sitting patiently in the living room with Liam's partner at the law firm. Harry listened attentively to the lawyer while Louis was staring hard at his untouched cup of tea. Louis' head only snapped up at the sound of Liam's name.

"I'm sure this is a very difficult time for you, obviously. Everyone at the firm will miss Liam very much." The lawyer, Andy, picked up his papers and straightened them into a neat stack. "Now, you must have many questions."

Harry's eyes flitted towards Louis, who gave him an encouraging nod in return. He pursed his lips in thought and spoke.

"Well, Isabella, I mean...that's who we're both thinking of. What will happen to her now?"

"Okay, well, I have already arranged for her transfer. The foster family that she was with last night will bring her to CPS. They'll feel she'll adjust best in her own environment. So first she needs to be picked up and brought here."

Louis shifted in his seat uncomfortably before propping his foot under his bum, leaning forward on the coffee table with his hands clasped together tightly.

"Okay, and, uh...who does that?"

Andy looked between them, his eyebrows raising high. He adjusted his glasses on the bridge of his nose. He waved his hand between them, his mouth pressing in a thin line.

"I'm sorry, did Zayn and Liam talk to you about their guardianship arrangements?"

Louis and Harry looked at each other briefly before looking back at the lawyer.

"No," they said at the same time.

Louis' eyes narrowed as Harry stared at the lawyer in surprise.

"Well, in preparing their will we talked about who would take care of Isabella in the unlikely event that they should both die and they named you..." Andy paused, nervously looking between them. "Both of you."

Suspense was heavy in the air. Harry spoke ambiguously, "I'm sorry. They picked us together?" at the same time Louis said incredulously, "I'm sorry. Could you explain that again?"

"I'm sure this isn't exactly how you wanted to start a family."

Harry laughed abruptly, Louis raising his eyebrows in question at Harry's sudden outburst. His face contorted into disgust, Harry waving his hand wildly between them, gesturing to himself, then to Louis, then back to himself again.