ı 37 ı Detours and Obstacles

"Find hope in the hopeless, pull me out of the train wreck" 

JAMES POV

I open my eyes,  surprised I managed to sleep at all. The events from last night keep replaying in my mind. 

Elijah was here with us after he returned with Elena to fill us in on the plan for taking down Klaus. Stefan was on board and Damon was not. Alaric had also returned, and he claimed to be himself which meant Klaus was out and about in his real body. The one thing I can't stop thinking about is Blair. She hadn't returned home last night even though she told Elena she would. 

I walk down the stairs and searched all the rooms but Blair isn't here. Not even her car is here.

"She's not here James," a voice behind me says. 

 I turn around, staring at Elijah. 

"So where is she? I thought you said you would watch out for her. That she would be okay," I say, pointing a finger at Elijah accusingly.

"That was before I told her. How could you be so stupid as to not tell her sooner? Her disappearance is on you James, not me," Elijah says. 

A weight drops in my stomach. So that's why she wanted to be alone. She couldn't face coming home and seeing me.

I shake my head. "You didn't," I say, although the look on his face tells me he is telling the truth. "Why would you tell her?" I ask.

"The question is, why didn't you? She deserved to know James, and she deserved to hear it from you, not me."

"I was planning on telling her, I just couldn't find the right time. And there you go, telling her at the worst time possible!" I say, my voice raising slightly. 

"I know you're trying to do what's best for her, and it's hard when she doesn't remember. But the real reason you didn't tell her was because you didn't want her to think of you differently. Isn't it?" he asks. 

I don't say anything, knowing deep down Elijah's right. 

When I found out Blair lost her memories of me, my whole world crashed. I pictured reuniting with her in an entirely different way, but I couldn't do that if she didn't remember me. So I took this opportunity to get to know her all over again. I wanted to start fresh, and I wanted this to be a second chance. I didn't want to bring up how we really met, because I didn't want her to take things the wrong way. I didn't want her to blame me for the things that had happened to her, and I didn't want her to feel like a burden knowing we are all struggling with her missing memories. 

I remember everything, and she remembers nothing.  I'm ashamed of myself, and now I realize I've messed up again. Whenever she had asked about our past, I avoided it, like dodging a bullet that was bound to hit me. 

"What's going on?" Stefan asks, appearing from behind us. "Is she still gone?"

"Yes," I say.

"I'm so sorry. I didn't know she wasn't going to go back," Elena says, appearing beside Stefan.

Damon walks into the room, a pouted look plastered on his face as he pours himself a drink, probably still pouting over the fact Elena is going through with the sacrifice. I would be mad too, but in the end it's Elena's choice. Damon is being selfish, as always. 

"What was the last thing she said? Did she say where she was going?" I ask Elena.

"All she said was that she wanted to be alone, and that she was going to take a drive," Elena says.