28

"When we order them to stop, they'll forget anything happened. They won't know what had happened when they were being controlled. It's perfect really. We'll always have the upper hand because they won't know what's coming." Max told us leaders.

The Dauntless members were surrounding us, walking around in a huge circle. Max had ordered them to do this. Any of us leaders could stop them, any of us could order them to do anything.

When Four came into the circle, my heart stopped beating for a second. He's divergent, he told me. I looked at him again and when no one else was looking, he took a glance at me. Few. He was faking it.

"Excuse me, what's happening?" A Dauntless woman came running into the room, asking one of the leaders this.

"Divergent." Max informed us all. I closed my eyes tight. No. "Eric, you do the honors." Max ordered Eric.

Eric looked over to me and I shook my head. If he did this, I was gone. I would never come back. He knew what his meant to me.

He looked back at the divergent and walked up to her.

"Just stay still, this won't hurt a bit."

When he fired the gun, I froze on the spot. No. I told myself. Not my Eric. Why the hell would he do that?

When he turned back around, I was already walking away. I didn't care what the other leaders thought, I didn't care if they knew I easy divergent. I couldn't do this, it wasn't right, at all.

×××××

I sat on Four's bed, waiting for him to return. I couldn't spend the night in Eric's obviously, so I decided to come here. He was my only other option.

When he walked in, he shat himself. He hadn't been expecting company, especially not me.

The first thing he did was drop his jacket on the floor after shutting the door and walk over to me and hug me, picking me up off the ground. I couldn't help the tears that fell from my eyes.

"I can't bel-" He cut me off quickly.

"Sh." He silenced me and placed me back on the bed. "You're going back to factionless. You'll be safe." He told me but I shook my head.

"I will never be safe Four." I replied and he sighed deeply. He knew I wouldn't be, ever.

"Get Callan on the phone, tell him you'll meet him at the factionless entrance. I want you to then go to Amity with him. You'll be safer in Amity. Safer than inside the cities boundaries. I'll tell Johanna to accept you, make you seem as though you're Amity members. You need to blend in." Four told me.

I handed him my phone so he could sort it all out.

"You should sleep, you'll be leaving in the early hours of the morning tomorrow." He told me and I nodded, knowing I would have a clean slot to get myself out there tomorrow at the early hours.

"Four," I called and he looked back at me, "only if you promise you'll find me one day." I added and he smiled softly.

"Of course I will, I won't leave you forever." He admitted and I nodded. Somehow I knew I wouldn't see much of him. I probably wouldn't see him at all.

"Now sleep." He ordered and I smiled, watching him leave my in his bed. He was pressing away on my phone.

I closed my eyes for a second and fell back onto the mattress. This was it. Tomorrow morning I was leaving once and for all.

I fell into a deep sleep, wondering what my future would bring.