3

Nets, what marvelous inventions. They can be used for so many things, even catching people who jump off buildings. When I felt the net underneath myself I couldn't stop the smile appearing on my face. I felt the net get tugged underneath me and I flipped over to be greeted by another young man. His face was also chiseled and handsome like the man's I'd just seen.

"You had to have been pushed, right?" He asks me, his thick eyebrows furrowing together. I shake my head, smiling at him. "What's your name?" He asks me while pulling me down off the net.

"Cass." I smile.

"First jumper, Cass!" He shouts out and I can hear cheers from behind. "Welcome to Dauntless." He greets and smiles back at me. He guides me to stand to the side and wait for the others. Apollo took a while to come down, he was the one before the last jumper. He came over to me and put one arm around my shoulder.

"Well, I'm never going to underestimate you." He spoke, I laughed at this.

"Too right." We both chuckle as the last jumper falls down into the safety of the net. The group huddled together and we were joined by a woman, the man stood at the net and the one from upstairs.

"Dauntless born with Emily, transfers here with us." The one from the net called out, smiling at the group. "My name is Four, this is Eric." He gestured to himself and the man behind him.

Eric. Didn't really suit him.

"Wait your name's Four?" Someone asked from the back of the group.

"Yes. What's your problem last jumper?" He questioned, more annoyed now. Nobody spoke. "Good." He pauses. "Now follow us." He then turned around, as did Eric and made their way down the corridor. I was intrigued by Eric so I stayed close to the front. He had a lot of tattoos, which looked amazing on him. We were led to an open space, two verges and a bridge between with a sheer drop in the middle.

"This is the chasm, many people have died here- be it suicide or accidental." Eric chuckles when he says accidental. "People can't deal with not succeeding and they give up. I guess it is better than being factionless." My eyebrows furrow and my blood boils.

"Factionless are people too." I mutter under my breath, he heard it.

"Excuse me?" He turns to face me, looking into my eyes when he walks up into my face. He was so close to me I could smell the coffee on his breath. "I suggest you keep your mouth shut, unless you want to find out what it feels like to hit the bottom of the chasm." He threatened me, it was hard to stand there and take it. I wanted to punch him or tell him how wrong he was but either wouldn't make a difference.

As we crossed the bridge I looked over the side to try and see the bottom, however, there just wasn't one. I didn't stay for too long as I feared being pushed over as Eric threatened. We continued to follow Four and Eric through some corridors and eventually down a metal staircase, entering a large room with around 30 beds in it. "This is where you'll be sleeping." Eric announced.

"Boys or girls?" A boy piped up.

"Both." Four chuckled as he answered. "You'll find a variety of clothes in the boxes in front of each bed. Change into them. We'll be waiting outside until you're all done." Both of them proceeded to exit the room.

I grabbed a bed in the corner, since I wasn't too keen on people. Apollo came and grabbed the one next to me, which I was happy about. Finally, a friend. I pulled open the large box at the end of the bed, bypassing the mens clothes and picking up something in my size. Black leggings and a baggy black t shirt, accompanied by a black and red jacket which was slightly too big for me. I wasn't embarrassed about undressing, I didn't care who saw my bruises. Apollo stared at them when my arms and legs were bare. I scan around the room and everyone's in their new clothing so I walk towards the exit, suddenly greeted by Eric in my face. He must've walked in the exact same time as I planned on leaving.

His eyes cast down onto me, tracing my arms, neck and finally to my own eyes. It was as though his eyes softened as he looked into mine.

"I-I'm s-sorry." I stutter immensely and move to the side, pinning myself against the wall. I could feel the heat in my cheeks and everyone else could probably see it. Eric stood there for a second longer, as though he was questioning something. That was before he snapped back into reality.

"Time for dinner, bring your old clothes with you, it's time to burn your past." He growls before turning back around, glancing at me before leaving.

How stupid am I? My heart had never beaten faster..

*

Apollo and I sat at an empty dinner table, which people quickly filled. Apollo was sat opposite me and four others we didn't know were sitting next to us. He shared an odd glance with me before pointing behind me, he pointed close to his torso so only I could see. I turned my head, I couldn't see anything suspicious. There were a few people grouped up at the back wall, Eric and Four included. There were about six of them chatting. I turned back to Apollo and shrugged my shoulders.

"Eric's been staring at you since you sat down, you really made an impression on him." Apollo chuckles. My eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

"Apollo, he wants to kill me." I raise one brow at him. "That's why he's looking, probably plotting what he can do." Apollo giggles. "I'm being serious!" I chuckle along. Apollo's eyes floated back behind me, I assumed Eric started staring at me again.

I turn my head quickly and catch his eyes, staring directly into mine. I could see the corners of his lips curving, a slight smile now apparent on his face.