“Celina?” I knew that voice anywhere, it was Jules.

“Thank the goddess. You scared the crap out of me Jules!” I gasp trying to slow my heavy panting.

“I didn’t know it was you at first. Why can’t I feel your wolf or mind link with you?”

“I haven’t fully recovered yet. So this is where you been hiding. Can I ask why?” We had reached the hot springs and I thankfully sat down near the water leaning my back on a nearby rock formation.

Jules turned his back to me walking to the edge of the water staring out in front. “Because I’m useless.”

“Useless? Jules what are you talking about.  You are one of my high guard.  How dare you say that you are useless.  Isn’t this what you wanted?”

“I can’t protect you, Celina.”

I stood up placing my hand on the back of his arm turning him to face me. Jules head was bowed avoiding eye contact.

“Jules, what’s going on?”

“Celina my weapon, it’s useless. I have been in here for days trying it out and it doesn’t work. Everyone has some wicked weapons, Jace has this sickle sword, Sage and Trevor has killer swords, Niko have the awesome claws, and Raven has two sai. Two! And what do I have? I have this!” Jules stepped back and a black cylinder appeared in his hand. “Now you tell me, Celina. What the hell am I supposed to do with this? How can I be a vital member of the high guard with this as my weapon?”

My eyes dragged from the pained expression on Jules face to his weapon in his hand. I tried to be sensitive to his pain but I couldn’t help.  A giggle escaped my throat and before long I was in full on laugh mode on the ground grabbing my sides laughing hysterically.

“What the hell! This isn’t funny, Celina! Celina stop laughing!”

I tried to stop the laughter wiping the tears from my face. I sat up indian style, “Jules please tell me this is not the reason you were hiding?”

“Dammit Celina, were you listening to me. Of course it is.  That is what I just told you!”

“Does anyone else know this is the reason?”

“Hell no, I didn’t show anyone how useless my weapon was.”

“I’m sorry Jules, I shouldn’t have laughed. It just that we all thought it was really serious.”

“Celina this is serious.  You of all people know about how excited I was to become a high guard. And to think this is my weapon?” I knew that Jules was dead serious.

“Jules can I see it?” he placed the cylinder into my palm.  I turned it over examining and it was just as I thought.  I handed it back over to him. “Jules you have a pretty cool weapon yourself. It’s a baton.  Do you know what that is?” Jules shook his head confirming the reason he was unable to make it work. “The cylinder is like the middle of a long rod, the ends of your sword is collapsible.  In your mind extend those two ends out of the cylinder.”

I took a step back watching Jules as he closed his eyes and his hand gripping the cylinder.  After a few minutes, Jules let out a frustrating breath when nothing happened.

“Celina this isn’t working.”

“Ok, close your eyes and just listen to me. Think about the process of changing into your wolf. How your bones elongate and twist. Now think of the cylinder in your hand and how it needs to transform, make the cylinder elongate.  Make it longer, now open your eyes.”

Jules stared down in amazement at the elongated cylinder in his hand.  On either side of the cylinder, two long blades protruded like I’ve never seen before.  I thought it would just extend to be a long metal staff but it was a deadly, beautiful sword staff.

“This is freaking awesome!” Jules couldn’t contain his excitement twirling his staff. I sat back down and watch as Jules became one with his staff. I had drifted off after what had seemed like hours of watching Jules practicing with his staff and was jolted awake by a scream. “Celina! Look!”

I stretched a little looking over at Jules, who now had two swords in his hands. Jules laughed at my confused expression, “Watch this.” Jules brought the handles of the two swords together and then the swords collapse into the cylinder. “I have the wickedest weapon ever! I have not 1 or 2 weapons but 3 weapons all rolled up in one!”

“Jules that is pretty wicked.” Yawning, I felt a little stronger after my nap. 

“We better head back, Trevor has everyone looking for you.  You are in big trouble. Why didn’t you tell me you were on the run?”

“Maybe the same reason you didn’t tell everyone where you were hiding!”

“Ok that’s fair. Let’s go. Damn Trevor is really pissed, he will meet us at the back gates.”

“Ugh, did you have to tell him. I’m not ready for one of his lectures.”

“Here hold my clothes and I will get you to the top.” I turned my back while Jules stripped to transform. His brown wolf nudges my back and I turned and gather up his clothes.  We walked up to the entrance of the cave and I climb onto Jules wolf. Once up top we didn’t stop as he continued to run and only stop when he spotted Trevor. I slid off his back and he took his bundle of clothes giving me a pitying look and rushed to the gate. Trevor stood staring at me his face set in stone, his arms crossed, and his eyes were the only thing showing movement.  His golden eyes where a liquid mess swirling with anger boring into mine.  For once in my life I looked down submissively. I walked cautiously forward slightly to his left hoping I could get around him without confrontation.

“Don’t take another step.”

“Trevor”

“Do you know how worried you made all of us?” With each word Trevor took a menacing step towards me and I instinctively took a step back. “Do you know that we had no idea where you were?” He took one step forward and I took two steps back. “I was half out of my mind, thinking maybe one of the King’s assassins had gotten to you!”

“I’m sorry, Trevor.  I just needed to get some fresh air. You know I can take care of myself.”

“While your wolf is dormant you cannot take of yourself! We cannot mind link with you or sense your presence! I see the time has come.”

“What are you talking about?”

“If I had mated you, I would’ve been able to find you.”

“Trevor no, not like this. You are angry and you have every right to be.  I didn’t intend to stay out this long but when I found Jules, time was forgotten.” My retreat was halted by a tree, I was trapped. Trevor stop mere inches from me, I looked up pleading for him to stop. His hand reached up and caressed my cheek and his thumb rubbed over my lips. Trevor brought his face down and I felt the warmth from his breath.  Our eyes locked and my lips parted in anticipation of his lips. His lips hovered over mine and he place a feathery kiss on mine. He looked into my eyes and his other hand cupped my cheek and he tilted my head back kissing me.  His lips locked with mine and I held onto his wrists using them as anchor leaning my body into his. Finally Trevor was kissing me and I felt a heat grow inside of me.  There were no sparks that I heard other wolves experience with their mates. But I felt a yearning need and I didn’t want him to stop. The yearning came to abrupt halt when Trevor was violently yanked from me and thrown twenty feet away.

I screamed at the sudden loss of Trevor as I stared at a snarling silver wolf five feet in front of me.

 *****A/N

Jules Baton is on the side.