Chapter 32 - What is Love?

Start from the beginning

"Yes, I'm in love with you since high school." Hands shivering, legs shivering, heart pounding, poor Vinit was having a very tough time expressing his feelings.

Sara crinkled her nose and pressed her lips together in a thin line. "I'm sorry. I don't feel same for you." She caressed her brown, silky hair, mixed feelings evident on her face. "I'm in love with Pratik, and I don't love anyone else than him," she said, her heart aching.

What if a dazzling lightning bolt struck down an insignificant tree? Obviously it would be burnt to ashes. Similarly, Vinit's heart was in flames knowing that the girl whom he loved since his childhood was in love with someone else. His emotions burnt down to ashes, but instead of smoke, teardrops welled up in his eyes.

Sara spotted the teardrops spilling from his eyes. She covered her mouth with her hands. "Oh my God! I-I apologize. I really didn't mean to hurt you." In her mind she thought that this was the first time she had ever seen a man cry. It was heartrending for her. She stood up from her place and ran away, whereas on the other hand, Vinit didn't move an inch. He was like a statue, though a live one. Nevertheless, the tears didn't stop flowing from his eyes.

*****

Conscience-stricken for hurting such a good boy, Sara was feeling aggrieved. She was desperately looking for someone to talk to so she could unburden herself. Then she caught sight of Sid going in to attend second lecture. No other guy was as perfect as him to open her heart to. Sara almost screamed his name, but Sid didn't stop. He was with his other classmates and purposefully tried to turn a blind eye to her. She ran after him, caught his arm, her manicured nails digging into Sid's forearm, and hauled him around. "Why have you been ignoring me for so many days?" she sent a death glare at the other classmates, hinting at them to go ahead, which they did.

"Have you checked your Whatsapp messages? I sent you like hundreds of them, asking, 'What's the matter? Why you're ignoring me?'" Her hazel eyes demanded an answer. Receiving no positive response, she used a typical feminine trick in order to melt Sid's heart. She burst out crying. "You don't care if I'm alive or dead. Why the heck do I consider you my best friend?" Sara clenched her teeth when she hissed best friend.

Watching her sobbing didn't really melt his heart. Instead, Sid glowered right into her eyes, "Register two things in your mind. I hate fireworks in the sky and waterworks in a woman's eyes."

As she got the drift that emotional blackmailing wouldn't be working on Sid's stony-hearted attitude, Sara angrily wiped away her tears.

"And there goes another teardrop," Sid taunted when he saw another stream of tears flown down.

"Yes! Yes! I'm not crying anymore, happy?" Sara burst out in anger.

Pressing his lips together, he couldn't hold it in anymore. Sid exploded in loud laughter. This made Sara gaze at him in wonder. She hadn't expected him to do that. "Alright. I'm extremely sorry, and I'm feeling guilty that I ignored you," Sid said.

Sara partly flashed a smile on her face that made Sid to look suspiciously at it. He thought, she was just crying a minute ago, and now she's smiling. How do women do that?

*******

"Damn! I skipped second lecture again. I swear, my attendance won't even be near fifty percent." Sid kicked a stone as he walked along with Sara.

Sara sat on her Vespa scooter which was parked aside the road instead of parking lot. All the time her mind was absorbed in the thoughts of Pratik—the intimate moments she'd shared with him. It was staggering for her the way everyone had jumped their throats down on her love interest, her close friends even went up to have verbal fights. But how much they tried to protect her from the snare of Pratik that much she got trapped into it.