Goodnight

Mark wasn't like a typical angel. He didn't have huge fluffy wings or a halo or brilliant glow, but he was extremely loyal and Jack couldn't remember a time when he didn't have his guardian angel hovering by his shoulder. Mark had always been there for him. Even when Jack was a child, Mark was there, scaring away the monsters that lived under his bed. And as a teenager, Mark was there too, feeding him lines to get girls. Even as a adult, Mark had been there, whispering what to say during job interviews. Jack's brown-haired guardian angel had guided him from his college years, to his mid-thirties, all the way to his 90's. As Jack had grown, Mark had changed his appearance to match Jack's age. Mark's hair was now peppered with grey streaks. His hands, wrinkled with age. But still, Mark's smile was ever the same bright smile it always was. Well it usually was. Today, his smile didn't seem to have the same shine. The same beam as it always did. Jack's near-sighted eyes might not notice much these days, but he could still see the gloomy look on Mark's face when the angel though he wasn't looking. At first Jack pretended not to notice, but after he caught Mark hastily wiping away tear in the corner of his eye, Jack had to know what was bothering his friend.
"Hey, Mark," he blurted out as he got ready to go to bed. "Is anything bothering you?" The angel, standing stiffly by the window, turned to look at Jack.
"No! Of course not! Why would you say that?" Mark's eyes widened as if in surprise, but Jack could tell that he was lying from tightness in his shoulders.
"Because there's something obviously bothering you that I don't know about. And that bothers me because I do anything about it." Jack turned to go into the bathroom. "If you still want to hide it from me then, fine, but if you don't want it to bother me for the rest of my life, then tell me after I finish brushing my teeth." A sly smile spread over the Irishman's face. He knew that the guilt of keeping his friend in the dark would overcome Mark's unwillingness. Jack had used the method more than once when trying to get Mark to whisper him lines during dates in high school. As he'd predicted, Mark spilled the truth right as Jack came out of the bathroom.
"So, Jack. You were right, there is something bothering me, but I really shouldn't tell you what."
"Mm," the man began to change into pajamas, which was a slow and difficult process now that he was old. Mark took a deep breath.
"Today's the you're going to.. erm... die."
"Wait, what?" Jack stopped and stared at the angel. He wasn't really surprised because he'd known his time was coming after his wife died 3 years ago, but still. Mark gave a small nod.
"Reapers just reported it this morning. I wasn't supposed to know, but it pays being friends with a reaper." He tilted his head, a weak smile on his face. "Though actually it might not. Its been stressing me out all day." Jack sat down on the bed. He stayed frozen in that position for a couple seconds before letting his shoulders fall. He sighed and looked up at the angel.
"There's no chance this isn't just a bad dream is it?" Mark shook his head and Jack gazed down at his hands again.
"If it makes you feel any better, I'll be there with you after you pass on," Mark reassured.
"But then why would you be sad?" The Irishman murmured without looking up. At this, Mark's features fell.
"I don't actually know why. I guess it's because I've been with you ever since you were born and I've seen how much your family means to you. I know that it's going to hurt you real deep, knowing that your going to cause a lot of sadness within your family. Even though I'll be with you, you'll still be upset that you might not see your family for a long time and I can't stand that." Suddenly, the angel felt shaking arms wrap around his chest. Because Jack was the only person that could see him, he was also the only person that could touch him.
"Thank you, Mark," Jack's quivering voice was quiet, but Mark could hear every word. "But don't worry about it. I've already accepted that one day or another this was going to happen. And eventually, I'll see the rest of my family again, even if I have to wait centuries for them." The angel dropped his chin to his chest and twisted around to look into blue eyes.
"I think that you're actually taking your own death better than me," Mark joked as pulled away from the hug.
"Aren't you going to say goodbye to your family?" The angel asked.
"Oh, yeah," Jack glanced at his feet. "What am I supposed to say? 'Hi I'm calling you to tell you I'm going to die tonight. Bye?'" Mark shrugged.
"I don't know it's up to you." With shaking hands, Jack picked up the phone, typing in his daughter's number. It went immediately to voicemail.
"H-hey, Samantha....I just wanted to say, erm, goodnight. I hope you sleep well and just know that I love you. Ahm, hope you're husband and kids are doing well. Tell them I miss them, you haven't visited for a while. Ahm, I guess I can't keep stalling. Goodbye, Samantha." After calling his son and repeating his message, Jack looked up expectantly at his angel.
"So, I guess I just go to bed then?"
Mark nodded.
"Goodnight, Jack. See you on the other side." He whispered.
"Goodnight."