Chapter Twenty-Three

"Hey," he pulls my hands away from my face.

"I'm sorry I haven't been here. And I know that an apology doesn't change anything, but I need you to listen, okay?" Luke waits until I make eye contact, then continues.

"Two years ago, at the law firm, a group of lawyers told me I was going to be asked a few questions. I was put into a car and made sure that I stayed there. We drove for hours, and I was worried sick about you. They said nothing. They didn't tell me where we were going or what was going to happen to you."

I'm finally calmed down enough that I've started to wipe the tears from my face. Fatigue is beating at me, but I keep my focus on Luke.

Luke continues, "I was taken to a house in Theodore. Almost a mile from the beach. Mr. and Mrs. Kivette were my foster parents. They had taken in about four other kids. Kinsley and Brody were two year olds, Sam was thirteen, and Kian was fifteen. I stayed out of trouble, and didn't run off, because I mean.. I've never had parents that actually cared about me. This was my chance." Luke stops for a second to see if I'm still listening. The nausea makes my head reel, but I nod as he continues.

"I stayed put, went to school, eventually dropped out again, and was homeschooled. I-"

"Why?" I ask softly, my thoughts fuzzy.

"I got into a fight. Just one, though."

I sigh and stare at my hands in my lap.

"Wait, wait."

Luke can tell that I don't want to hear it.

"It's not because I just wanted to get into trouble."

"Then why?" I ask, my sight of Luke turning into a blur.

"Sam and Kian were bullied, that's why. Okay?" Luke says quickly.

"Anyway. I promised myself that once I could get out of the house, become a legal adult, that I'd try to find you. I contacted the lawyer that sent me to Theodore, Mr. Connors, but he said that he couldn't disclose any information about where you were."

Luke pauses a second and glances at me, "So, uhm. Mr. Kivette, my foster parent, did some research, and told me that you were at Miss Hayes' Home for Girls in Atlanta."

I glance at him, then both of our gazes quickly return to the wet street. My head is pounding loudly in my ears, but I try to ignore it.

"And uh, when Jeremy finally called me and told me he was moving, I uh-"

"You told him about a vacant place that was half an hour away from me.." I say softly. I can't believe it.

"Yeah.. And when I turned 18, I had to convince my foster parents to let me travel to Georgia and take a year off from college. It.. took a while, but I made it," Luke looks at me sheepishly, "Sorry I'm so late.."

I can't even comprehend this. I thought Luke had completely forgotten about me. He looked for me. He still cared. I sit there stuttering, still unsure of what to say.

"Are- Are you okay?" Luke asks.

"I'm fine.. You just- I can't believe you didn't," My head feels like it's being crushed under pressure, but I manage to stay sitting up straight, sort-of normal.

"You didn't forget about me. I thought you would.. forget," I breathe.

My eyelids are begging to be closed. They're so heavy.

No. Stay awake, Skyler.

Don't shut your eyes.

"No, that's just it," Luke takes my hands in his. Not in some kind of movie-scene-romantic-way, just a plain and simple connection.

"I couldn't forget about you. I wouldn't. You literally never left my mind. I always had you in mind," Luke tells me as my heart stops for a millisecond.

"You don't-"

"Skyler, no one can forget a girl like you. You're much more than anything any guy could ask for," Luke says, coming closer, his face completely sincere.

"Luke."

"Wait, wait. Please, I'm almost finished. Do you remember the last thing I said to you? Two years ago?"

My mind is so foggy. I still have blurred vision.

Think, Skyler.

"Oh.. Uhm. Please, don't let go?" I ask, slowly.

His blue eyes look determined. He comes even closer.

"Close. But think, Skyler. The very last thing," he whispers.

Think.

Very last thing.

Conference room.

The door opened.

Focus.

We need to ask him a few questions.

Luke leaned down toward me.

Then what?

Concentrate.

He whispered something.

Think.

What was it?

Then the fading memory hits me like a train.

"You said that you.. you loved me."

He nods.

"I still do. And I always will. I love you, Skyler."

Adrenaline pulses through me for some unknown reason, but I appreciate it. I'm sure I would've passed out if it hadn't been for that.

"But I loved you first," I say.