Chapter Thirteen

A few tears fall down my swollen face as I supress the urge to yell his name. He shouldn't be here! My dad must have heard about him from the police, and if he finds Luke he'll kill him. I'm beyond terrified for him, but so happy to see him again at the same time. I somehow gather the strength to stand. Adrenaline, most likely. As I put my hand on the large window, Luke climbs the tree next to it. The old oak teeters, but supports him until he is at eye-level with me. He never holds my gaze for long, though. Our eyes meet occasionally, but he desperately continues to try to pry the window open with the small knife in his hand. Shaking my head, I tap on the glass. He needs to know that it's not worth it. I'm not worth all of this. He's free to do whatever he likes without

a burden. Luke sees my motioning, but completely ignores it. His expression is determined.

"Luke, stop it.. Don't.." I say only loud enough for him to hear.

Luke glances up at me, shakes his head, then returns to his struggling. I pray that somehow this will all work out. Maybe I don't have to die for all of this trouble to go away. But there are still doubts in my mind. What if my dad catches Luke trying to free me? Than there's the other option.. What if Luke gets tired of fighting for me? I wouldn't blame him. As you would have it, a miracle occurs. From all of Luke's efforts on the window pane, the seal is broken. My eyes light up as he quietly and gently pulls the pane off. He props the window against a branch as he turns to face me.

"No, why did you do that?" I whisper as he reaches toward me.

There's absolutely no hesitation when he silently hops into my room and embraces me in a hug. Luke slightly tightens his grip around me, making my bruises and cuts burn. I don't even mind. He pulls back slowly and holds my shoulders. As he studies my bruised body and swollen face, Luke's expression is agonized.

"Skyler, I couldn't just let you go," he whispers.

I can't even make eye contact with him.

"Please, look at me," Luke asks softly. I obey.

"I care about you," he whispers as he cups my face in his hands. "I will always care about you. It doesn't matter if you're here, in another state, or even another country. I will do anything and everything to protect you."

I shake my head. "No, you don't understand.. You could be-"

"I don't care about me,Skyler. Hush," he says as he pulls me into a kiss.

"Luke," I say as he pulls back, "There's no way I'm going to get away from here. No way while I'm alive, I mean."

"No, don't even think like that. We're gonna be okay," he says as he brushes my lip with his thumb.

As I'm about to disagree, I hear a familiar sound coming toward my door. My father in his boots. My throat tightens, and my stomach churns.

"Luke, get out of here. Now." I plead as I push him away.

"Luke, leave!" I whisper harshly.

Luke doesn't go out the window as I hoped he would, though. He darts over into my closet and immediately blends in with the clothes.

As I hear my father turning the knob, I yank my blue curtains over the open window and hurriedly sit on the bed. He opens the door and saunters in, smirking at my bruised face. I shift a few feet away from him.

"So.." he begins as he clumsily stuffs his hands in his jean pockets, "What's up?"