Chapter 15: An Exercise in High Fashion

Start from the beginning

Captain Yuki exited the bathroom with a towel wrapped around her, brushing her wet hair. I shoved the letter behind my back and smiled over at her. "Akira, hey girl! How's your day going?" I wedged the envelope back into the couch, giving her a huge smile.

She shot me a queer look. "Fine, I guess?" She looked down at her towel and then at me. "You know wearing a towel isn't against any fashion rule, Rangiku."

"What? Oh no I don't mind the towel! Although we do need to have a chat about your choice of colours. There's more to life than grey and black, honey." Just then I had a brilliant idea. "Why don't we discuss more on that subject today? We'll have a girls day, you and I. Just put some clothes on and go get us some coffees while I freshen up a bit, okay?"

Captain Yuki stared strangely at me for a minute. "Sure, just give me a second." She disappeared into the bedroom.

I looked over at Yoruichi. "I can't ask her about this directly, but I'll see what my captain has to say about it."

Akira appeared again in the living room wearing black pants and a grey t-shirt. I rolled my eyes and sighed at the ceiling. "We have some serious work ahead of us, honey."

She sniffed the air indignantly. "There's nothing wrong with the way I look."

Judging by the blonde hair stuffed into a messy ponytail and the lack of bra support, I had to disagree. She threw on a coat and was out the door in an instant.

I pulled the envelope out of the couch and looked it over once again. Captain Hitsugaya entered the kitchen and placed a dish in the sink. He turned around and folded his arms, waiting expectantly.

I gave him my report. "We encountered a hollow at the end of my shift and I dispatched it. Its body had the same markings as the others which makes that four victims this week." I leaned back on the couch, dropping the envelope in my lap.

He nodded. "Since Akira found the first set of victims there seems to be a new kill every few days. We need to find a way to lure him out somehow. We're running out of time and the head captain is not pleased with our progress." He collapsed on the couch next to me, rubbing his face with his hands. He looked exhausted.

I patted his back gently. "We're doing everything we can captain. You need to stop stressing about that and you need to stop stressing about Akira."

His shoulders sagged.

"She hasn't forgiven you yet, has she?" I guessed.

He dodged the question and grabbed the envelope in my lap. "What is this?" He asked.

I tried to think of an answer that wouldn't upset him. "Akira dropped it on her way out so I picked it up. I was going to give it back to her when she got back." I avoided the look he gave me.

He closed his eyes, rubbing the knot between his brows. "That's her personal belonging, Rangiku. Please tell me you didn't read it."

"I only glanced at it, but I think there's something you should know-,"

He put his hand up, stopping me. "Not another word, I'm not getting involved in this. Akira's pissed at me as it is and I'm not about to upset her again. Put it back where you found it, now." He got up and went to his room, slamming the door shut.

I tucked the envelope back into Akira's belongings and grabbed my shower bag. I made a quick retreat into the bathroom when I heard her open the front door.

***

Akira

I saw Rangiku bolt into the bathroom and slam the door shut. I gave the bathroom door a queer look. She should have been in the shower by now. I sat on the couch and sighed. At this rate we'd be out of the house in three hours. I never understood what took her so long to get ready in the morning. Granted she was taller than me and had a larger chest surface area, but did it really take an extra thirty minutes to wash?