Chapter 12: The 4 AM Shift

Start from the beginning

We worked in shifts, spending our off time catching up on work and our own personal activities. Rangiku spent her time trying to update my fashion sense; to which she wasn't very successful. Kensei asked me on several occasions to spar. Only once I had obliged him and he ended up with a bruised ego, among other things. Toshiro spent most of his time reading or staying in his room. He would have short meals with us and then leave for various reasons. Basically to do anything that involved ignoring my general existence.

Next to me, Rangiku lay asleep in her own bed, her hair ruffled over her face. I quietly eased myself out of bed, trying not to wake her. Grabbing my pants off the floor, I pulled them up on my way out of the room.

In the living room I spied Toshiro. He was sitting on the couch, gazing at the ceiling, drool forming at the corners of his mouth. What a charming view, I thought. The real Toshiro was to my right, standing at the kitchenette and pouring himself tea. He glanced over his shoulder. "What are you doing up this early?" he asked.

"Couldn't sleep." I jammed my hands into the pockets of my jeans. "Is it your shift, captain?" I looked up at the clock, four in the morning it read.

"That would be why I'm not in my gigai, Captain Yuki." he stated plainly.

"Right. I'm sorry, I knew that." I leaned against the cabinet next to him.

He stopped stirring his cup and looked up at me. "Is there something I can help you with?"

"Oh uh sorry." I turned around and busied myself making my own cup. I thought about it and stopped what I was doing. "Well, seeing that I'm wide awake now, why don't I take your shift?"

He raised his eyebrows. "I won't argue with that, I need to get my report finished for the head captain." he handed me his cup of tea. "Just remember that your shift starts after mine at eight this morning." he slipped back into his gigai and went to his room.

"How about a thank you?" I mumbled to myself. I poured the tea into a thermos and tasted it. There was a hint of sugar in it, just the way I liked it. reaching into my pocket, I pulled out the soul candy and popped it into my mouth. It felt like a kick to the gut as I was ejected from the gigai. It wasn't a feeling I was getting used to.

"Hi Nani!" I greeted myself. "You may as well hang around here until the rest of the crew wakes up. Rangiku is still asleep and I don't want to disturb her. Maybe make everyone breakfast when they get up, okay?"

She wiggled her nose and grinned at me, it was the oddest feeling seeing me do that. "Roger that miss Akira!" she gave me a thumbs up and flopped down on the couch obediently.

"Okay, well have fun then." I waived to Nani and headed out.

***

I passed the first hour jumping a long the rooftops of the local neighborhood. It felt good to be outside and moving. And also not dreaming, I added mentally. I watched as the city slowly came to life. A few stray cats climbed out of garbage bins with their morning breakfast. Birds started chirping, announcing the arrival of the sun. A business man placed his briefcase on the passenger seat of his car before putting it into reverse; getting an early start on his day. If only these beings knew the things we soul reapers did to keep their lives peaceful.

I seated myself on top of a particularly high rooftop, admiring the view of the sky as it transformed from night to morning. Murray would enjoy this, I thought. I pulled out his blade.

"Good morning Master Akira." He said from beside me. "What are we doing today?"

"Nothing out of the ordinary Murray. We're just doing a little patrol this morning. But hey, check out that sunrise. It's beautiful isn't it?" I laid back against the roof tiles, taking in the view.