[47] "Keep it under wraps."

Desiree waited for Destiny to deny it but as she watched her sister, it looked like all of the color had drained from her face. She couldn't remember a moment when Destiny Garrison was speechless. Her sister was usually quick on her feet and would fire back a response without a issue.

Desiree snapped her fingers. "Destiny? Did you hear me?" Maybe she hadn't said it loud enough or possibly she was just shocked by the question. "Are you my mom?" she repeated.

Destiny had heard her the first time but she didn't know what to say. It was the last thing she expected to come out of Desiree's mouth. "What are you talking about, honey?" She was trying her best to project her voice with confidence but from the way Desiree was staring at her she knew she wasn't fooling her. "I need a drink."

Destiny ran into the kitchen to gather her thoughts. Where in the hell did this come from? She grabbed a bottle of water to quench her throat. When she closed the fridge Desiree was standing there staring and scared the hell out of her. "Shit!"

"Listen, I overheard a conversation between Sammie and Teddy. They said you're my mom. Is it true?" Desiree asked again without preamble.

Destiny took a deep breath. Should she tell her the truth or keep up with the façade that had been develop for over an decade. Staring at her beautiful daughter her thoughts drifted back to when she went into labor. She was at home with Sean and Yolanda watching television when her stomach started to cramp. In the beginning she just pushed the pain to the side and continued watching television. It wasn't until she got up to get something to drink when she felt a wetness between her legs because her water had broken.

After hours of labor, Desiree Garrison came into the world. Sean and Yolanda were by her side the entire time helping to coach her through the delivery. While holding her baby she felt like everything in the world was going to be okay but after leaving the hospital from under the care of the nurses and doctors Destiny realized that having a baby and becoming a mother was two different things and she wasn't ready.

Was she ready now?  She wasn't sure but looking at Desiree she knew that she didn't want to disappoint her child and cause her pain. "No honey. I'm not your mother."

Which in all honesty was true. Yes she gave life to her but she was never a mother to Desiree. Yolanda played that role. It was something that Destiny was ready to accept. Everything happened for a reason and instead of being upset by the situation Destiny now felt grateful she had parents to step in and raise her child. Maybe she was finally growing up. It was better late then never.

"Then why would Sammie and Teddy say it?" By the tone of Desiree's voice it was obvious she was confused. She sat on top of the counter and nibbled on her bottom lip while she replayed the message in her head. "I know what I heard."

"Maybe they were talking about someone else."

Desiree shook her head. "I don't know. I'm going to give Teddy a call and talk to him."

Destiny begin to panic. She needed to talk to Teddy first. "There's nothing to talk about. They were mistaken or maybe you misunderstood them."

"Maybe...but I still want to talk to him."

Destiny moved out of the kitchen back to the living room and found Desiree's phone on the arm of the couch. She looked over her shoulder and saw that Desiree was still on the counter. "Lord forgive me," she whispered out loud before she picked the phone up and dropped it on the hard wood floor. Picking it up, Destiny was pleased to see that the screen was shattered.