Chapter 17

When I go down to the cafeteria for lunch on Monday, it's filled to the brim with students, as usual. I crane my neck to see if there's a vacant table, but I don't find one. Sighing, I scan the crowd for familiar faces, hoping to at least be able to share a table with someone.

Finally, my eyes land on Corey. I hesitate, not knowing if he'll welcome my presence. But even if he doesn't, he'll just leave, right? So either way, I'll have a table. I've got nothing to lose.

I head over to Corey's table and as I near, it's as if he senses someone approaching, because he pauses and looks over his shoulder at me. Our eyes meet and both of us freeze. Suddenly, I'm not so sure about this whole table sharing thing and I'm about to blurt an apology and leave when Corey breaks the silence.

"Looking for a place to sit?" he asks, his eyes still fixed on mine. I nod wordlessly and he gestures for me to take a seat at his table. I take a deep breath before stepping forward, placing my tray on the table and sliding onto the bench opposite Corey. Corey doesn't say anything more, so I don't either. Instead, I take my egg sandwich out of its box and start munching on it.

For a long while, it remains silent. Corey looks like he's considering something and I don't dare interrupt him least he bails on me again. I sneak glances at him occasionally, though, trying to figure out if he's alright. Eventually, my head hurts from thinking, so I just concentrate purely on eating.

"Hey, you free after school?" Corey suddenly questions. It's so abrupt I don't even realize he's talking to me at first, but then I notice him staring at me as if waiting for a reply.

"I, um, yeah, I think so." I think Corey has plans for us after school, and I don't know why it makes me so nervous, but it does. I feel more nervous than I the first time I performed my ballet solo in front to a huge auditorium filled with hundreds of people. It sucks the breath out of my lungs and I can barely breathe. I'm so anxious to find out what he has planned, if they even exist.

"Well, I have something to show you," he tells me, his eyes watching my face for my reaction. I must have gave him a puzzled look, because he sighs and tells me I'll understand when I see it.

"Okay, I'll go with you to see whatever you want me to see," I agree, nodding slightly. I think he didn't think I'd agree, because he releases a sigh of relief when I reply. Honestly, I wasn't sure if I wanted to agree either, but maybe this will be my chance to understand Corey better.

This is a chance I couldn't miss.

- - -

I meet Corey after school by his truck. It's the first time I've ever seen it. It looks sort of worn out, but still decent. I'm pretty sure it's safe to ride in.

Corey drives away from the school and past rows and rows of houses. As we get further and further away from the school, I wonder where we're going. We've been driving for over 10 minutes now and the neighborhoods we pass are looking less and less luxurious. Corey wouldn't try to kidnap me, right?

Finally, the car slows to a stop in front of a humble two-story house. It's walls are a faded yellow color and the windows look as if they haven't been cleaned in awhile. Other than that, though, it's a pretty house. Corey and I get out of the truck and I let him lead the way. He climbs the steps at the front of the house, then fishes out a key and unlocks the door.

Then, it hits me. This is Corey's house.

Corey beckons for me to follow him inside, and I do. The inside of the house is pretty well maintained. The floors look clean and the stack of magazines on the living room's coffee table is neatly piled up and aligned.

"I'm home!" Corey calls out. Looks like we're not the only ones home right now.

After a few moments, eager footsteps pound down the staircase. As they near the bottom, a young girl in a T-shirt and black leggings comes into view. She grins when she sees Corey, flying into his arms.