Chapter 11

Never in my darkest dreams would I have dreamt that this was my mysterious fantasy prince.

"What are you doing here?" I asked incredulously, my wide eyes taking in the figure before me. He was dressed in a simple white button-up shirt, black skinny jeans and a navy blue coat. Somehow, his formal attire made his features more attractive, causing my eyes to linger a moment too long on him.

"Um, you listening?" Corey Adamson's smooth voice pulls me out of my dazed state. I couldn't help but blush at the way I was entranced by everything about him, from his body to his voice. Nothing had changed since the first time I met him.

I frown.

No, I couldn't feel that way towards him anymore. I was someone else's girl now and that meant not crushing on other guys regardless of how hot they were, like Corey. Realizing that I'd began to space out again, I quickly shot Corey an apologetic smile. I knew he had noticed the fresh pink tint on my cheeks, which didn't help the unfamiliar awkwardness between us. Corey's eyes met mine and I held his gaze, trying to figure out the look in his eyes.

Something flickered across those light blue eyes and Corey abruptly broke the stare. "I, uh, was just saying that, um, Kendall invited me here," he stutters, his eyes looking elsewhere while his hand subconsciously rubbed the back of his neck. "Oh," I simply replied, my mind drawing a blank. An uncomfortable silence filled the air. "Uh, you're... friends with Kendall too?" I ask a moment later, attempting to create some sort of conversation. He nods and we fall into silence again.

I know I could just leave if I wanted to, but somehow, I couldn't move. Seconds pass before Corey finally breaks the silence. "Maddie, how's things going with Phillip?" he questions casually. "Um, it's fine, I guess," I reply, slightly taken aback at the sudden change in topic. "You guess?" Corey's eyebrows furrowed in confusion as he looked at me. "We're fine," I reply.

Causing the dreaded silence to fall yet again.

This conversation was turning out really different from our usual ones. I have never felt awkward or uncomfortable talking to Corey and we talked non-stop, the other cutting in where one of us stopped. But today, it seemed like both of us were out of words. Ever since the other day, something seemed to have changed between us, like an invisible rift had been drawn. I couldn't recall anything that I'd said or done to cause it, but it was there nonetheless and it felt weird.

Suddenly, the loud and blaring default iPhone call tone rang through the deafening silence, making me jump. Corey reaches into his back pocket and pulls out his phone, frowning as he checked the caller ID. He quickly picks it up and presses the phone to his ear.

"Hello?" Corey greets, still frowning. He stays silent as he listens to what the other person has to say. Then, his eyes widened and he briskly started walking towards the exit of the kitchen. I follow him curiously. "Yes, I'll be there in a bit," Corey says into the phone before hanging up. The distress was evident on his face as he turned to face me. "What's wrong?" I ask, frowning as well. "Something urgent came up. I've got to go right now. If anyone asks, just tell them it's a family matter," he briefly explains before turning and half-running out of the door.

What was that about?

- - -

[ sorry so much for the late update! i've been so busy studying for my exams (i'm not american) that i totally forgot and i seriously apologize for that. please don't hate me! ]

This whole chapter came out so weird. It just gives me a weird vibe altogether, what do you think? It's like they're suddenly on a whole new level argh. Hopefully you guys don't feel it so much.

That aside, what do you think happened? You probably won't find out for a lot more chapters, but I just wanted to see if you guys could roughly guess. Comment down below your guesses and if I see any close ones, I'll dedicate the next chapter to you (or one of the next, in case I forget)