Chapter 6

I'm in the middle of a perfectly sweet dream when the annoying beeping of my alarm tugs me back to reality. I groan lazily as I reach out, eyes still closed, to find my phone. When I finally feel the cool metallic surface against my palm, I grab it and sit up in bed. After turning off the alarm, I look through my notifications. There were tons from my social media sites, as usual, and a few text messages from my family and some old friends. I quickly read and reply the texts, starting with mom's, until I get to Kendall's. Excitement fills me as I open the conversation she started. Though Kendall and I were really, really close back in Pittsburgh, I haven't actually heard from her ever since she moved to New York early last year. I guess we've all just been busy with our own schedules and everything. However, Chloe did mention meeting up with Kendall a few times in the past months, so I'm assuming she lives nearby. Hopefully, I'll get to see her soon.

'Hey bro, heard you're finally here in New York! How's everything going? I missed you so much we should totally meet up soon and you can tell me all about New York life so far!!' Kendall had wrote. 'I've missed you too!! I don't even know how I survived without you this past year. When are you free?' I quickly reply, already anticipating Kendall's response. "Maddie, breakfast is ready!" Chloe announces, popping her head into my room. "Kay. Thanks Chlo!" I reply gratefully, placing my phone back on the bedside table and heading to wash up.

By the time I get downstairs, Chloe and Josh are already there and Josh is laughing at something Chloe said. "What's so funny?" I ask casually as I sat down beside Chloe. "Chloe was just talking about some of the girls at your school," Josh explains. Chloe loved to gossip. At every free moment we had, she'd tell us about who had done what (or sometimes who) and she always seemed to have the insider's scoop on everything. "Who is it this time?" I ask Josh. "Megan Dallas. She such a clumsy little sweetheart. Yesterday, she tripped over her own feet in practice," Chloe tells me, rolling her eyes. "She did?" I say, raising an eyebrow. I didn't even notice. Chloe nods in confirmation. "You probably didn't see it since you were right in the front, but it was pretty obvious," she states. "First week and already in the front?" Josh suddenly asks. "Yup. Always the star, this one!" Chloe replies proudly. I blush shyly at their compliments.

It was true. I had only been at Joffrey for a little over a week, but the teacher was extremely impressed at my technique and insisted on having me near the front. My height did come in handy for once as well. I guess being short doesn't always have to be a bad thing.

~

"Children, please gather around!" Mrs Blaise called, entering the studio. All the ballerinas immediately gathered around the front of the studio, leaving a space for Mrs Blaise. "Now, as you all know, we'll be doing our annual Christmas showcase in a few month's time," she starts, clasping her hands together. A flurry of excitement flows through me. I wanted to be part of this showcase piece. "This year, the faculty has chosen Cinderella to be the showcase piece. Auditions for various roles will start soon, probably next week, so I wanted to give you an idea of what you could audition for." Mrs Blaise then proceeds to list out all the roles and gives us a brief introduction to them, but I barely listen. I already knew who I wanted to play. I wanted to be Cinderella, the lead in the piece. But of course, so did all the other girls in this room. Looks like I'll be cramming lots of extra practices into my schedule for the upcoming week.

- - -

Heyyyy! Here's the second update for the week. Hopefully, there are no spelling or grammar errors! Enjoy!