Bellamy Law

Camp:

Wells started making his way towards the bonfire till he stood at the front of the raging crowd and saw Bellamy watching Mbege and Murphy prying the wristband off of a long haired brunette girl kneeling next to the fire.

When they tore it off, Murphy discarded the wristband into the fire with several others that's been abandoned.

The girl stood up proudly and held up her bare wrist for everyone to see; the crowd roared again.

"Who's next?" Bellamy called out, welcomimg those to the life of freedom.

"What the hell are you doing?" Wells said, stepping forward.

Mbege moved towards him, ready to start another fight, but Bellamy put a hand on his chest to stop him and turned to Wells.

"We're liberating ourselves," said Bellamy. "What else does it look like?"

"It looks like you're trying to get us all killed!" said Wells. He raised his voice so that the crowd could hear him over the crackling of the fire.

"The communications system is dead. These wristbands are all we've got. Take them off and the Ark will think we're dying, that it's not safe for them to follow."

"That's the point, Chancellor," Bellamy said mockingly as if he was stupid. "We can take care of ourselves. Can't we?!"

"Yeah!" the crowd hollered in agreement.

"You think this is a game?" Wells asked in anger. "Those aren't just our friends and our parents up there. There are doctors, our farmers, our engineers. I don't care what he tells you, we won't survive on our own down here." He turned to Bellamy, "And besides, if it really is safe, how could you not want the rest of our people to come down?"

"My people already are down." said Bellamy gesturing to the crowd. "Those people locked my people up. Those people killed my mother for the crime of having a second child. Your father did that."

"My father didn't write the laws." said Wells.

"No, he enforced them," Bellamy said angrily. "But not down here. Here, we do whatever the hell we want, whenever the hell we want. There are no laws!" The crowd cheered him on, backing him up.

"You don't have to like it Wells. You can even try to stop it, change it...kill me. You know why? Whatever the hell we want."

"Whatever the hell we want!" Murphy shouted and the gathered crowd took up the chant, pumping their fists in the air.

Wells looked around at the crowd disbelievingly and then looked back at Bellamy. He looked like he wanted to hit him but instead Wells could only keep a cool head and try to reason with Bellamy, but no matter what he said he was already convinced that these people could not be reasoned with, that they didn't care about anything but themselves.

He was also sure that if people thought that they could do 'whatever the hell they want' then they would eventually start hurting each other; it would be best to stay away from them when that happened.

Before things could go any further a line of harsh, jagged light flashed across the sky and there was a deafening rumble above them that felt as if it shook the ground.

People stopped chanting and looked up at the sky as water began to fall on them. "Rain! It's raining!" someone shouted.

People all over camp, at the other fires, started shouting and moving around - some fearfully, having never seen rain and not knowing that it was harmless.

Most were excited; they turned their faces to the sky trying to catch rain water in their mouths.

"We need to collect this," Wells announced to Bellamy seriously after having an after thought.

"Whatever the hell you want." Bellamy statted calmly. Wells, realizing that Bellamy wasn't going to do anything useful, turned and walked away.

Bellamy watched him leave, and then turned his face to the sky, enjoying the new experience along with everyone else.

********
Hope you guys had an awesome Christmas!