Hobbits and Cake

"Sure looks like a nice cake, huh Pippin?"
"Sure does. It looks delicious."

Esmerelda stood next to Pippin and eyed the cake sitting in front of them longingly. She took a step forward and reached her hand out towards it.

"No one would notice if we tried some of the frosting, what do you think Pippin?"
"I agree. No one would even notice."

Both were about to sample some the of the frosting when a voice made then jump.

"Freeze!"

Both hobbits threw their hands up over their heads and froze. Merry walked up behind them and turned them away from the cake.

"What do you two think you're doing? That cake is for Bilbo and Frodo's birthday today. You're not even supposed to know where it is!"

Pippin looked down at his feet.

"Sorry Merry. We were just- Wait a minute! If we're not supposed to know where it is than why are you here?"

Merry looked around nervously. Esmerelda crossed her arms and smiled.

"Well, I don't know about you guys. But I'm going to try some of this frosting."
"Don't! Primrose worked so hard on this cake! If you guys-"
"We won't take that much." Pippin assured him.
"No one will even know we tried some."

Merry groaned as his younger cousins each "sampled" a small bit of the frosting. Esmerelda closed her eyes and smiled.

"Hmmm... So good!"

Pippin looked at Merry.

"Come on, you know you want to try some."

Merry groaned again anf walked up to the cake. He took a small "sample" of the frosting.

"Wow. That is good."
"You know, it would taste better with the cake."

Merry flung around and faced Esmerelda who was once again eyeing the cake.

"No! We're not touching that cake anymore!"
"Come on Merry" Pippin pleaded "Just one bite."
"No."

Esmerelda threw her hands up in mock surrender.

"Alright. You win. We won't touch it."
"Thank you." Merrt sighed in relief.
"We won't touch it but I will."
"What?"

Esmerelda took a small piece of the cake and popped it into her mouth.

"Oh yeah, that's good."
"What are you doing?!?!?"
"Come on Merry. You know you want some."
"No!"

"I want some." Pippin said eagerly.

"Coming right up Pippers."
"Don't call me that ever again."
"Ok Pippy."
"Pippin. Just call me Pippin."
"Ok fine. Here's your piece."
"Thank you."

Merry watched him eat the piece in horror.

"What are you doing?!?!"
"Trying some of this cake."
"You both took huge pieces!"
"No we didn't."
"Just look at it!"

They looked at the cake and sure enough two pieces were missing.

"Well, that's a problem." Esmerelda looked at the missing chunks.

Pippin glanced at Merry.

"Only one thing to do now."

Merry sighed.

"Fine..."

Without another word the three hobbits dug into the cake.

------------------------------------------------------

"Is everything ready?" Primrose asked as Frodo walked into the room. They were sitting in front of the unlit fireplace in Bilbo and Frodo's home. Bilbo and Prinrose sat in two chairs while Frodo stood in front of them.

"Everything looks great Primrose. You did a great job with decorating."

Primrose smiled. She brushed a strand of her long, blond hair out of her face.

"I'm glad you could be here for the party." Bilbo told her. She had been traveling for awhile and had just got back.

"I'm sure Pippin and your sisters were glad to have you back home." Frodo added.

"Speaking of that, where is Pippin? I haven't seen him or Merry all day." Primrose knew that whenever Merry and Pippin were gone for long periods of time it wad usually never a good thing.

"I saw Pippin with Esmerelda earlier. But I haven't Merry." Frodo replied.

"Who knows what mischief those three could be getting into?" Bilbo shook his head but had a small smile on his face.

"By the way Frodo, isn't Gandalf coming for the party?" Primrose asked.

"He is. And so is Aragorn I think. Legolas and Gimli might come too."
"Anyone else?"
"They might have mentioned bringing some friends with them but I'm not sure."
"When are they arriving?"
"This afternoon."

Frodo suddenly jumped up.

"What I'm doing? They could be here any minute and I have no one to go greet them!"
"Couldn't you go?" Primrose asked.

"They're all coming from different places. I'd have to get more than one person to go meet them."
"Why don't you find your cousins and ask them to go?"

Bilbo suggested.

"Why didn't I think of that? I'll go find them. Bye Uncle, bye Primrose."

"Bye Frodo. Stay safe!" Primrose called out as the hobbit left the house.

"Don't worry about him Primrose. There's nothing to worry about in the Shire." Bilbo smiled at her and she smiled back.

"I know that Bilbo. But you can never know what kind of things can happen out there."
"We're safe in the Shire Primrose. I guarantee it."

She smiled and looked at the unlit fire place. She touched the scar on her neck. Would she ever get over her fear of fire?

------------------------------------------------------

First part is done! Let me know how you guys liked it. Next chapter will bring more people
and more craziness.