Thirty - Realm of Possibility

VIO

"Love is the kind of thing that’s already happening by the time you notice it, that’s how it works, and no matter how old you get, that doesn’t change. Except that you can break it up into two entirely distinct types — love where there’s an end in sight and love where there isn’t."

Nagmadali akong umahon sa pool, nag-shower at tumakbo palabas ng training room. Wala akong idea kung bakit may urge akong ihatid sya sa bahay nila. Siguro nalagyan ng chlorine ang utak ko sa kakaswimming.

“Maghirang!” I yelled. She was so close sa pag-akyat ng jeep. Napalingon sya sa akin. As in, parang may slow motion pang nangyari because her hair was falling across her face.

“Sabay ka na sa akin!” I said, the look on her face said she was confused so I grabbed her wrist and then apologized to the driver on her behalf. “Sorry boss but I’m taking her home.” Sabi ko which made the people inside the jeep evoked into a series of awww and laughter.

“Ha?Totoo ba yan?” she asked with a glow of warmth and happiness as though she was really touched by my invitation.

“Let’s just go.” I said, getting irritated with her naivety. SUSME. Hindi ba malinaw pagkakasabi ko? =__=

Lumoob ulit kami ng school and then I told her to get inside the car. She obliged. “San kita iuuwi?” Napatingin ulit sya sa akin tapos nagkamot ng ulo. Ba’t parang ang sagwa ng words ko.

“Sa God’s Gift Orphanage.” She said softly, her eyes shifting towards the right.

For some reason I recoiled as I felt embarrassment creep across my face.  

“Sorry.”

“Okay lang.” sabi nya habang ngumingiti. “Do you mind telling me what happened? I mean, kung okay lang kasi di ba, mas maganda pag sinasabi mo yung nararamdaman so you will feel better?” I offered, eager to know who she was. What if sya yung nawawala kong kababata di ba? Imagine the horror! All along, andito lang pala sa tabi ko.

 A moment of silence passed before one of us could say something again. “Namatay sila nung bata pa ako. Tapos” Ava said, turning her head to me. “May umampon sa akin kaso.. basta. Hayaan mo na sila.” She cleared her throat as though trying to suppress a sob. I knew then that I asked a sensitive topic.

I looked at her once more, totoo pala yung sinasabi nila those people who give a strong impressions are the ones that are hurting the most. People always tell us that time heals but I think that time doesn't necessarily heal all wounds. Sometimes, it just makes the wound worse.

I suddenly felt guilty for being such a pakialamero. “Gusto mo muna kumain?” I offered.

“Libre ba? Hehe.” Sabi nya.

A few blocks away from the school, I pulled over and parked my Chevy White Camaro near a curb on the left side of the street, under a small tree, right behind a beat-up black Sonata. I was about to open the door when a CD fell out of my CD compartment. Hindi ata to inayos ni Lem nung hinaram nya a. =__= Out of reflex, pinulot kaagad ni Ava yung CD.

There was a cartoon picture of a guy and a girl on the face of the CD. The title said, “Our Songs”, the words at the bottom read: Vio

Sh!t. I thought I had thrown all of our CDs.