Twenty Seven - Turning Tables

KIM

"I am tired of trying to hold things together that cannot be held. Trying to control what cannot be controlled. I am tired of denying myself what I want for fear of breaking things I cannot fix."

SUNDAY AFTERNOON

Araneta Mansion

“Don’t worry, they’ll like you. Just be yourself.” Jake reminded before we went inside their mansion. Yun na nga ang problema e, I don’t know how to be myself. And it didn’t help the fact that Jake wasn’t his usual self today. Okay, maybe not just today. I felt like as if there was some kind of distance between  us . Gone were the light in his eyes, his excitement, his usual giddy self. KKK

On the other hand, we never heard anything from Kara and Qen pero sabi ni Teddy they’re still together. Baka okay na sila.

“Let’s go?” He says. I would be lying if I said I didn’t wait for his hands to curl up into mine, sighing, I followed Jake.

“Jake, okay na ba yung hands mo?”

“Don’t worry about it.” Sabi nya.

“Son!” They all greeted as soon as we stepped inside their mansion.

“JACOB!”

“Oh my, Kimberly.” The way she said my name was as though the word rolled off her tongue smoothly. Mrs. Araneta stood up in the middle of the large adjacent room when she saw us walk in. Jake’s grandfather on the other hand, folded up the newspaper he had been reading and lowered his stainless glasses to look at me.  Because it was a classy place, the room was lit up with shimmering specks of golden light. The whole room dripped in decadence of a contemporary style mixed with modern furniture and collectible paintings. What is windang!

“Hello po!” Breaking into a smile, I walked over and gave her a hug. Tita Agnes reached out and hugged me back lightly. I did the same for Jake’s titas and titos. Nagpakilal rin sila sa akin formally. “I’m glad you made it.” Jake’s grandma said, smiling at me.

“Kayo lang?” Meanwhile, over my shoulder, Tita Agnes looked at Jake.

“What do you expect, ma?”

Sa tono pa lang ng boses ni tita, I knew then that she was looking for Harlem.  “Honey naman.” Narinig kong sinabi ni Tito Paul kay Tita Agnes.

“Come on, guys, take a seat.” Jake’s grandfather nodded, stepping back behind the table to the chair he had been sitting in. He motioned for Jake and me to sit.

Jake took the seat next to him while I took the seat beside Tita Agnes. They were pretty attentive kaso pakiramdam  ko, medyo awkward pa rin, pilit ganun. Or maybe it’s just me. HAY NAKO, KIM. STAHP.

The maids started serving the foods. And I continued gaping in surprise. JUSKO. Pang-five star!

“Hahha. You look so cute iha. Don’t worry, kaya nating maubos yan. The kids will be here in a minute.” Said Tita Emily, yung mommy ni Vio. The Araneta ladies all shone with elegance and sophistication. Sobrang gaganda pa. No wonder kagagwapo ng mga anak. =)))))

“How was school? I forgot what course you’re taking, iha! Sorry!” sabi ni tita. Tas nag-facepalm pa sya. “ I’m getting old na kasi!” she said while smiling. I smiled back at her.