Chapter 24

Chapter 24

       I hated going to school so much. Violet tried talking to me but I honestly didn't want to hear anything she had to say. She broke my heart into pieces and it seemed like she didn't care. She was dating Levi, the biggest jerk at the school. And that stung a lot.

       Not to mention Levi seemed to be rubbing it in my face that he was dating my ex-girlfriend. Everywhere I went at school, Levi and Violet was there. He would always look my way and gave me a smirk before holding Violet's hand, hugging her, or kissing her.

       God, him kissing her pissed me off so much. I wanted to be the one to kiss her. I wanted to be the one to hug her and hold her hand. What did Violet see in Levi?

       "You look like a zombie," Cannon informed me as he walked up to my locker during lunch.

       I groaned. "Yeah, and I sure as hell feel like one, too."

       Cannon frowned. "How are you feeling, man?"

       "Like a zombie," I said in an obvious tone. I closed my eyes and rubbed my forehead for a bit, hoping the pain would go away. I didn't think I could handle the rest of the school day feeling like this. Or the rest of the year. Or the rest of high school.

       "Hunter?" Cannon asked in a worried voice. "You're....Are you drinking again?"

       I opened one eye to look at the serious look on his face. I closed it again. "Nope," I lied. I knew lying wasn't going to work because Cannon could read me like an open book. He had been my best friend since we were babies. He knew me.

       "Hunter...."

       I sighed, opening my eyes. "You're not my dad, Cannon. I didn't start drinking again, alright? I've been sober for a long time now."

       "Yeah, I can tell when you're lying," Cannon said. "Not to mention your eyes are really bloodshot."

       "Because I'm tired."

       "Uh huh."

       "Cannon, would you stop?" I asked. "You are not me. You do not know anything. I am not drinking."

       Cannon crossed his arms. "Really? The only reason why you stopped drinking was because of Violet. But now, because she's dating Levi, I know you started drinking again."

       "Rub salt in the wound, why don't you?" I snapped. "You don't know what I'm going through. I lost the one girl I love just because I was stuck in traffic one day. I don't need you making it worse by you accusing me of drinking."

       Cannon held up his hands in defeat. "Alright, alright. Fine. I'm sorry, man. I'm just looking out for you." His eyes then locked on my water bottle pocket of my backpack. "Hey, I'm kind of thirsty. Can I have a sip of your water?" 

       "No," I said immediately. If he had a sip of my so-called water, he would know the truth about me drinking again.

        "Right, okay," Cannon said before snatching the water bottle before I could react.

       I dropped my bag on the ground and attempted to grab the bottle, but he was quick enough to keep it out of my reach. "Give it to me!" I said.

       "No," Cannon replied. "It's for your own good!" Dammit, he knew exactly what it was.

       I couldn't help it; I tackled Cannon to the floor. Cannon kept a firm grip on the bottle, but I was able to take it out of his hands. Cannon pushed me against the floor, trying to take back the bottle, but it flew out of my hand and rolled down the hallway.