Chapter 3

Chapter 3

       Neither of my parents talked to me after I told them why I was failing. They either didn't care or they were too shocked.

       I was back at school and Levi was already making fun of me.

       "We're going to do something different," Mrs. Timmons said. "Since we're studying Romeo and Juliet, I assigned everyone with a partner. Together, you will write a short tragedy story." She pinned a list up near the door. "Here is your partners. You can check it now."

       Everyone, except me, hurried to the list. I hate the assignment. I was going to be paired with someone and it nicked writing. Great.

       "Hi Hunter," someone said. I looked up and saw Violet Wyatt. She was probably the only person who didn't treat me like a loner. "We're partners for the project."

       "Cool," I said. She was the smartest girl in school so it was no surprised I got paired with her.

       She pulled up a chair and sat down. She handed me the criteria. "Can you read the outline?" she asked. "I'll write things down."

       I looked at the outline. "Um....What's this word?"

       She looked at the word I was pointing at. She looked at me with a raised eyebrow. "Are you being serious?"

       "Yeah," I said.

       "Tragedy," she said. "Can you read the rest?"

       I silently sighed. "Sure. Create a tragedy store....Can you just read it?"

       Violet took the paper from me, luckily not questioning me. "So," she said as she wrote stuff in her notebook. "If you don't mind me asking, how much are you failing by? Word got around."

       Of course word got around. Levi probably told everyone. "Thirty-two percent," I muttered.

       Violet didn't seemed shocked by it at all. Instead, she wrote something in her notebook and handed it to me. "Read this," she said.

       I looked at the word, confused. I sighed and handed it back to her. "I can't," I said.

       "Does the school know you're dyslexic?" she asked. It was funny how she found that out in a matter of seconds yet my parents or the school didn't. "Didn't your parents tell them?"

       "My parents found at about it yesterday," I told her.

       "But you're sixteen," she said. "They didn't notice at all?"

       "They're too busy with their careers," I said.

       "I'm sorry, Hunter," Violet said. "It must be horrible having Levi bother you about your grade when he doesn't know about your learning disability."

       I shrugged. "It is what it is."

       "I'll tell you what," Violet said. "I'll do all the writing. We'll both plan it."

       "Are you sure?" I asked.

       "Positive," Violet said. "I don't want to push you into writing."

       "Thanks," I said.

       While we were planning the story, Mrs. Timmons walked over to us. "Hunter, I'll need you to stay in after the bell," she said. "I'll call your next teacher to tell them you'll be late."

       "Why?" I asked.

      "I scheduled a meeting," she said. "I called your parents but since they can't make it, your dad said that your uncle is coming instead."