Chapter 15

Chapter 15

"DAD!" I called from the foyer. "It's almost eight! We need to get going!"

I heard Dad sigh as he walked into the foyer. "I swear Hunter. You really need your license."

"I will get mine if you buy me a car."

"Deal," Dad said, grabbing his keys off the key hook.

I raised an eyebrow. "Wait, seriously? I was kidding." I didn't expect my dad to get me a car. With my attitude lately, I thought he would have laughed and told me to be logical.

"I'm not," Dad said. "I'd rather by you a car then keep driving you everywhere."

"....Seriously?"

Dad sighed. "Yes, Hunter. Seriously. If you get your license, I'll buy you a car."

"You're kidding, right?"

"Hunter, does it look like I'm kidding?" Dad asked. "I know you've been a bit....hard to handle, but you've been getting your drinking problem under control. You deserve something for trying that hard."

"Not a car."

"Besides," Dad continued, ignoring me as he opened the front door and we walked out. "When you finally get the guts to ask that girl out, you're going to need a car to drive her places."

"What?" I asked. "I don't....I'm not....I have no idea what you're talking about."

"Uh huh," he said in a tone that told me he didn't believe me. We got in the car and began driving to my school. I was hoping Dad would drop the conversation, but he didn't. "It's really obvious you like her, you know. The look you give her, the fact that you stopped drinking, and what was the last one? Oh yeah, you're going to a school dance. Something you vowed you would never do."

"That doesn't mean I like her," I said. "Besides, she probably only likes me as a friend."

Dad didn't question me anymore. I would seriously hate it if Violet only liked me as a friend. She probably did. I mean, who would ever like a teenage alcoholic who barely gets along with his parents? Not Violet. She was the smartest girl in school and the only reason she hung out with me was because she was my tutor. If I got someone else as a tutor, she probably wouldn't be near me.

When we got to the school, I thanked Dad for the ride, who replied with, "Don't forget to get the guts." I rolled my eyes, happy that nobody was nearby to hear that.

I walked into the school and went to the gym, handing the student standing by the door my ticket for the dance. She gave me a smile, allowing me to walk in.

Violet was standing nearby, looking as beautiful as ever. Her red dress fitted her body perfectly, and it wasn't anywhere close to being revealing. When she saw me, she smiled and walked over. "You came," she said.

"I promised I would," I said. "You look amazing."

"Thanks," she said. "The dress isn't too much?"

I shook my head. "No, not at all. It suits you perfectly."

She smiled even brighter. "Thank you, Hunter. Oh, and by the way. Nobody has tried sneaking alcohol in here yet, so you're safe."

"Good," I said. "I haven't drank in a while and I really don't want to start now."

"Don't worry, I'll make sure you don't go near any alcohol if some idiot decides to bring any. The dance started not that long ago, so there's still a chance."