Chapter 2

Chapter 2

       I woke up suddenly to someone slamming something on my desk near my ear. I sat up quickly and looked at my English teacher, Mrs. Timmons. I was hoping she, nor anyone else, noticed that I was in a hangover and had an extremely bad headache. She slamming the wooden ruler in her hand against my desk made it even worse.

       It was three days after Mom told me the news and I was back in school because my suspension was over. The day before, I found some alcohol that my parents hid on me. I may have had a slight drinking problem, but in a way it was my parents fault. If they didn't want me drinking, they shouldn't have had alcohol in the house. It wasn't good enough to hide it on me.

       Luckily, my parents didn't notice my hangover.

       "Sleeping again?" Mrs. Timmons asked. She handed me a slip of paper. "This is your mark so far. See me after class." She continued handing out marks to everyone else.

       I looked at my mark. Thirty-two percent. I was failing English badly. Honestly, that didn't surprise me. It was probably surprising everyone else. They didn't know what was going on.

       "Bet you anything he's failing," one of the most annoying voices ever said from the desk beside mine. It belonged to Levi Baker, the most annoying kid in my grade. Well, in my opinion that was. Everyone else loved him and thought he was the best person ever. If only the saw the way he and his group of friends treated me.

       "That's kind of an unfair bet," Levi's girlfriend, Lucy Potts, said. "We all know he's failing."

       The bell rang and everyone hurried out the door for lunch, but not before Levi gave me a smirk. Such a jerk.

       Mrs. Timmons walked over to me. "Hunter, I have never seen everyone get such a low mark in this class before in my whole teaching career."

       "Well, there's a first time for everything," I said, crossing my arms over my chest.

       Mrs. Timmons sighed. "A thirty-two. I don't get it. Is there anything going on that I should worry about."

       "Nope," I lied. "Nothing at all."

       "You need to think about getting a tutor," Mrs. Timmons said.

       I shook my head. "I don't need a tutor. I don't need anyone helping me."

       Mrs. Timmons, however, didn't want to stop talking about my grade. "I think it would be best if I could schedule a meeting with your parents," she said.

       I tried my best not to laugh. Like they would even show up. "Yeah, good luck with that. They're always too busy to come to any meetings that concern me." I stood up from my desk and grabbed my backpack and grade slip. "I'm hungry, so can I leave?"

       Mrs. Timmons sighed. "Sure, go ahead."

       I walked out of the classroom when suddenly, the grade slip was ripped out of my hand. "Gee, I wonder how bad he's failing," Levi said, holding the grade slip.

       "I'm guessing less than fifty percent," Ezra West, Levi's best friend, said.

       "Oh, that bad?" Levi asked with a smirk. "Let's give him some hope and say he's only failing by one percent." He looked at my grade, that snorted. "Wow. It is less than fifty percent. It's half of the highest mark of failing."

       Lucy grabbed the paper out of Levi's hands. "Thirty-two percent? How are you even in grade eleven with this low mark?"

      I snatched the paper out of her hand. "It's none of your business. Just go bug someone else."