Chapter 20

The four gentlemen explore through Manhattan after their eighth period classes, on a gloomy Monday, after principal Glenwich addressed his colleague to not expel them again; for one thing, Egon recognizes this rare image the mysterious CariDee posted in her website based on the research from the Codex itself. Since the homecoming dance is cancelled because of the decisions from the authorities of the New York board of education, Principal Glenwich and the busters resemble their plan to expel Gozer from harnessing their world especially New York. As the boys arrive to their final destination to shut down the mandala before the apocalypse causes mankind to riven, they approach to the Empire State to cope with more ghosts at the far end. Winston studies the building completely knowing the final showdown before facing Cazzar awaits them. 

"Ok, this must be the Empire State." Winston responded, opening the driver door from Ecto-1 and the others exit from here as well.

"Egon, any evidence about the skyscraper?" Peter inquired as Egon scans the building with his PKE meter. 

"History reveals the iconic lights from the Empire State Building first lit up in 1931. Unfortunately, the building soars in not only its role in aestheticism, but for its morbid history of suicides. Authorities have it that the Empire State Building is belief to be one of the renowned sites on New York city's skyline we come to love today." Egon conveyed taking a reading. 

"That's the same building King Kong climbed up." Ray added. 

"King Kong?" Peter scoffed. 

"Come on Peter, you haven't watched the movie before." Ray replied. 

"I'm not sure about movies, but this area must be the last to shut down the mandala." Winston stated. 

"Right, maybe we can outface these new ghosts on the way." Egon agreed, so the boys and he enter the Empire State noticing the areas seemed barren. The interior was decorated with business related features including the marbled desks adjacent one another and desktops. The printers didn't functioned since a business woman came to work that morning with the unprinted files. Crack! They heard a vase fall and shatter by itself. 

"What was that?" Winston asked. 

They also heard a woman's screaming coming from the other side of the building, for the Ghostbusters hustle to find the sound of the feminine screaming. Ray kicks down the door as the others and he appear at a nick of time. They narrowed their eyes at a woman with the same blonde hair, pastel white blouse, and a jet black business skirt matching her high heels. It was Maryse who screamed for help.

"Ms. Adams, what are you doing here?" Peter asked. 

"Yesternight, I have recovered a minority of the paperwork for the Public Library, and all of the sudden, a creeping specter sneaks up behind me and locked the doors." Maryse answered.

"A creeping specter you mentioned." Peter pointed out. 

"Have you boys ever heard of Evelyn McHale?" Maryse inquired. 

"Nope." Peter shakes his head. 

"Negative." Egon agreed. 

"Not really." Winston concurred. 

"Who is she?" Ray asked. 

"She was one of the five suicides here," Maryse answered, "according to her history, she serves as a WAC in World War II. Once she mustered out, she burnt her uniform; also, she moved here and became a bookkeeper." 

"A bookkeeper?" Egon pondered, "looks like we must peruse the edifice." 

"Starting with the 86th floor observation platform." Ray responded. 

"Right." Egon pointed out. 

The boys and Maryse took the elevator to the observatory floor where they can investigate the reason behind the haunting of the renowned building. The elevator doors open at the right timing as Maryse and the boys enter there as Winston presses the button to the observatory floor, and the doors closed as the elevator flew upward. 

Life is like a roller coaster when the ghost arrived. It's not simplistic to think we are engage in the supernatural as much as Egon can verify. Peter wondered. 

What's next in our quest? Is it catching Cazzar? Is it another set of ghosts? Who knows? Winston wondered. 

I'm beginning to feel worry on how much we dedicate ghostbusting to Principal Glenwich, Lori Fischer, and any paranormal investigators. I hope someday I'll tag along with both Peter and Egon to becoming psychologists. Ray pondered, but what about Winston?

Relax, Maryse. You have Winston, Ray, Egon, and Peter. The ghostbusters. There's nothing to be ashamed of. Maryse thought. 

We have captured the ghosts for mr. Glenwich and stuffed them in the containment unit at our firehouse since Dr. Fischer's have been broken, causing the ghosts to escape. I hope recapturing them won't be as facile as this. Egon pondered.

The elevator ascends to the eighty-sixth floor of the Empire State Building, and the doors open to the twilight zone world of the observatory as Maryse and the boys explore the desolation. As they scrutinize the area, they witness the clues, leading up to the battle to save their home. They hear rancorous thunder booming across the sections, and they examine the empty surfaces until gashes of black clouds accumulate together, judging from Egon's PKE meter. Suddenly, an accumulation of black feathers emerged taking the form of a man with an insane ego. 

"Surprise, surprise!" A low-pitch male's voice called to them malevolently, and it was from Cazzar. 

"Cazzar!" Peter growled as he and the boys confront him again.  

"Foolish boys, you thought you can tear my life apart. This is the last mistake you ever made, so prepare to meet your destiny!" Cazzar laughed. 

Their battle with Cazzar begins as Peter starts his intiative using his proton streams as cued by Egon and the others to enervate him, but the proton streams gave Cazzar the strength to encounter the boys. In addition, Cazzar uses his telekinesis to collide them. He tosses Peter to a rolling chair and send him flying towards Egon. Ray dashes toward him with the neutrona wand in his hand, but Cazzar grabs it and gives Ray the boot. Winston blasts his streams at him, but Cazzar was undeterred at the moment as he launches his feathers at him. Egon charges at him, yet Cazzar blows his spiral ball and kicks him in the stomach. Cazzar controls the furniture and throws it at the boys brutally, but Egon's streams shattered it. In addition, the energy from the proton packs ran out. 

"Oh shot! He's resisting our proton streams, Peter, we got to make a temporary retreat!" Ray shouted. 

"I think you're right." Peter agreed, so the boys fled from the 86th observatory. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When principal Glenwich opens the door from Egon's lab, he found the Busters injured after their battle with Cazzar. There were bruises on Peter's face, Egon's right leg, Winston's back, and Ray's left arm. Scars on Peter's left eyebrow, Egon's waistline, Winston's wrist, and Ray's left cheek. 

"Boys, what happened?" Glenwich asked. 

"Cazzar has beaten us very badly." Winston answered. 

"and he resisted our proton streams." Ray replied. 

"Oh, I don't like the looks of this, guys!" Egon sighed feeling upset he covers his eyes from the tears. 

"If that fucking bitch hurts Peter Venkman again, i'm going to--aah!" Peter screamed, feeling the pain from his left arm and sighs. 

"Ouch! I better think of plan B quick." Glenwich insisted. 

"What about Cazzar?" Ray asked. 

"I'll do some serious thinking on how to catch him. Right now, I better take you boys home." Glenwich answered as he starts Ecto-1. 

End of ch. 20