CSAT: Checkpoint Hero

June 16 2015: 0700 hours

It was a Saturday morning, 7 am. Time to get to work. I set up on the bed, palms supporting my sleeping head. The solitary streams of warm, wispy light filled the room as I pulled back the curtains of the bungalow. Clouds floated with the winds leaving trails of vapour and the sun was leaving the horizon where scarlet streaks were still sailing across the sky. I looked down, there lay my uniform, crumpled with sloth. The coffee coloured camouflage help hide the creases and the stains. Next to an ill-favoured helmet the stitched name tag faced upwards in clear sight. Engraved into the rectangular shape was "Sgt. Lucia Zeros".

I got dressed into my lousy fatigues, making sure to roll up my sleeves.
Grabbing my rifle, I headed out the bungalow and walked about ten metres down the driveway to be greeted by sandbags and concrete walls. As I approached the organised mess of fortifications an SUV stopped in front o the gate. Another solider briefly check the vehicle then the gate rose steadily and the car pulled forward to leave the stronghold. 

" You alright Kevlaan." I said as I parked up next to him. "Yeah, you had a nice lie in Zeros?" This was because I was ten minutes late to the shift and we couldn't leave to gate unmanned or unguarded. We gazed up the road stretching our views into the distance. There was dust being thrown up about five kilometres away, and  the defined sound of engines could be heard over the morning breeze.

Two Orca Helicopters flew overhead, aiming for the airfield behind Kevlaan and I. " Huh, I had  a feeling this was going to be a boring day."
"Don't give up hope yet, I think that was General Omissi's private Orca that just landed." The distinctive black and green marking on the underbelly of the aircraft have it away completely. "Hell, maybe he's even here to give us a promotion...".

As the hours went on by, more vehicles had pasted through our desolate gate. A convoy of two Quadbikes and a Marid had just past pulled up. As we checked the vehicles over, the Driver of the Marid poked his head out of the reinforced window. "Hey can we get a move on." I just ignored him and carried on patrolling around the back of the armoires vehicle. "I've got the reinforcement troops, apparently we got incoming NATO forces."

Now that was an interesting comment. Kevlaan walked over to the gate and pulled it up, giving the thumbs up to the driver. I walked over the gate as he talked to me. " Did you hear the man?". He inserted a fresh magazine into his weapon. "We might finally see some action."