Chapter Nine

In advance, I apologize for the shortness of this chapter! I'm exhausted and I've been trying to find times to update

~

It felt like they were walking for hours.

They all took measures to avoid being burnt. Thomas and Jay under one blanket to avoid the sun's heat, Minho with a makeshift turban, Newt with the hood of his jacket up over his face, and the others using similar ways such as Thomas and Jay's.

The sky was starting to darken, clouds roiling angrily as if whatever deity above was infuriated that they had been able to survive this long. "Looks like there's going to be a storm! We need to find shelter!" Thomas yelled over the howling wind to the group. In the distance, he could see the faint outline of a building. Like some sort of warehouse.

They started trekking towards it dutifully when a loud crack and a blast of heat landed a few feet away from them. Jay jumped slightly at the sudden noise; not taking long to locate the familiar noise. Lightning. They picked up the pace, starting to run as thunderbolts crashed down on each side of the group.

Jay squinted when the dust started to swirl and hide everyone in view, he chest constricting at the thought they might get lost. All she knew was that she had to keep running to the warehouse.

She could feel the faint familiar signs of fear that started growing but she pushed them down, letting adrenaline push her closer and closer to the doors. A crack of lightning sounded out, followed loud shout and a cry of pain made her whirl around.

"Minho!" Thuds. More shouts from the boys. She searched through the sand flying around her with her eyes but it was hard to distinguish anything. Two figures emerged from the whirlwind, Thomas hauling Minho over his shoulder.

"Go! Jay, go!" Thomas yelled, watching as she darted to go hold the warehouse door open and usher in the boys that had survived the storm. Minho was in terrible shape. His clothes were torn and scorched, a bubbling rash starting to form on his cheek and arms.

"Will he be alright?" "Get some water from the backpack!" Voices and comments were shot in the dark and Jay felt Thomas' fingers lace through hers as Jeff tended to Minho.

All was silent but the soft sound of chains dragging set the group of edge. "Are you okay?" Thomas murmured, finally able to make her face out in the darkness and cupping her cheek. "I'm alright. Are you?" She answered softly and drew closer to him as his free arm wrapped around him. They were worried but they also needed to keep their minds off of the damage done by the storm or they'd panic too much.

"I am now." He dipped down to kiss her when bright lights switched on and snarling filled the room.

Hundreds of cranks were chained to the red metal-like walls, the group jumping back and hunkering against the door.

It seemed like their day was just getting more and more interesting.