Chapter Five

Above is lovely covert art by Bloody-Inspired-Girl ❤️

Now, onto the chapter!

~

Thomas did his best to get some rest. After telling the boys, they all decided it was best to take action in the morning. When they would have a clear head.

Thomas twisted and turned in his sheets, which seemed clod and empty without her. Without his other half...Without Jay..

He didn't sleep a wink and was wide awake when it was time to head to breakfast. Arris waited for them by the doorway before they all sat to eat.

Newt pushed the food around his plate. It felt like a huge chunk of him was missing. He and Jay may not have been romantically involved but she was still his best friend he had vowed to protect. And he had failed.

Pathetic. A failure. The voices in his head hissed and he shook his head as if to clear it. Thomas frowned slightly. "You alright, Newt?" He and Newt weren't on the best of terms at times but he was still worried over his fellow Glader.

"I'm fine." Newt murmured softly and shook his head again absently. The rest of the lunch went in silence.

Thomas stood and put his tray away when he caught sight of kids walking down the corridor. Charlie was one of them. Charlie grinned at Thomas through the glass, waving.

Thomas returned it with a soft smile, his gaze shifting to one of the guards and his eyes narrowing in anger. He saw red. "Where is she." He growled as he stomped over, grabbing the guard's collar.

Arris and Thomas' eyes met for a short while and after nodding curtly, Arris dashed off into the corridors.

"Where is my girlfriend!" He roared and the Gladers dashed over, trying to put distance between the fuming Thomas and a guard who was quickly starting to take out his pistol from his holster.

They finally managed to pry Thomas off and he huffed, turning on his heel and starting to walk away with something clutched in his hand. Newt, Minho, Frypan, and Winston followed him to the dorm.

"What the bloody shuck where you thinking, mate!? Do you want to get us all killed?!" He glowered at Thomas, folding his arms across his chest.

Thomas ignored him as he looked at the clock then back at the vent. The vent suddenly popped open and Arris slid out. "Time to go. We only have ten minutes before the cameras go online again." He informed.

Thomas nodded and crawled into the intricate metal maze, following his partner in crime to their location. "Thomas!" Newt yelled in frustration but made no move to follow him.

"He's going to get himself killed." Newt grumbled, scowling.

Thomas dropped down the vent where the big metal door led to. He knew where they had taken Jay. This had to be it. Arris fell behind him silently as Thomas pulled out the ID card he had swiped from the unsuspecting guard.

They may have only exchanged a couple words but it was enough time for him to snatch the card from his pocket. He swiped the object against the sensor and sighed in relief when the doors parted before him into a small chamber. Another chamber was separated from the first with a glass wall. He stepped inside with Arris, sucking in a sharp breath.

Rows of tubes full of some strange organism filled the room. They looked an awful lot like Grievers. Jay was right. Without wasting time, Thomas swiped the card through the sensor that opened the doors to another room.

He froze.

Humans hooked up to weird machines took up the space of the dimly lit room. It looked like they were draining some sort of blue liquid from them.

Thomas scanned the room until his eyes fell on a dark haired girl who was hooked up but they hadn't started the unknown process yet.

"Jay..." He whispered breathlessly as he ran over to her and unhooked her from the machines, holding her in his arms. Arris checked her pulse and sighed in relief. "She's still alive."

There was a large clanking noise and the pair hid behind some columns with Jay still in Thomas' arms. He slowed his breathing, his heart starting to race as Ratman walked to the end of the room and pressed a button next to a glass wall.

"Well. What news do you bring?"