Chapter 8 "YES!"

The air-conditioned breeze kissed my lips accompanied by a hint of rosemary and mint, wafting in the air; it was a festive redolence that always brought back fond memories with my mother. Of course, back then the novelty quickly ran its course when it came to her standards of proper dress attire. Even with dark bangs stifling her vision, her answer was always no. My shorts were either too high or my dresses not long enough—Geez, it's as if I lived in a nun's convent. But today was different!

"Take a U-turn, girlfriend—Mnnnh-mmmph," said Cameron, shaking his head, wagging his finger at me.

—Or was it?

Usually, this was just the type of outfit my mother would approve of—But she wasn't here!

"What's wrong with it?" I fired back.

"Show off those slender legs of yours!"

Cameron was correct, but I still felt defiant as if my mom was on the sidelines shaking her head.

"What about this?" I said, gleaming.

"Not bad—But you can do a lot better than that, Lydia—Flesh, sweetie—FLESH!"

I just loved hanging out with Cameron. He wasn't judgmental, and he had such an eye for style.

"How about now?"

"Now that's what I'm talking bout, girlfriend—Gimme dabs!" exclaimed Cameron, removing his Ray-bans and giving me knuckles.

I reciprocated with knuckles back, and we were on to the next shop.

"What's the deal, sweetie?" said Cameron, pausing to take a look at me. "Your parents cut the shackles?"

"Long story, but something happened at Hawai'i," I said, clearing my throat.

I paused, pulling my glance free from Cameron's prying eyes. In actuality, I didn't know what to say. After all, I didn't have any recollection of what happened in the first place. I for damn sure wasn't going to tell Cameron about my mystery hero, or was I? Hell, my parents never even knew about him, not like they would believe me anyways. But Cameron was different, could I trust him with this secret?

"—And!" snapped Cameron.

"Do you believe in angels?"

"Ummm—Duhhh," retorted Cameron, rolling his eyes. "Don't you go to church, child?"

"Seriously—Do you?"

"Of course, I do!"

"Have you seen one before?"

Rolling his shoulders then maneuvering himself at a better angle so that our gazes lined. "Where you going with this, Lydia?" said Cameron.

He was perplexed. And, so was I. But I couldn't hold it in anymore.

"I think my Guardian Angel rescued me."

As if the background music and voices from other patrons in the mall had dropped, there was the complete silence that lingered between us.

"Seriously?" said Cameron.

He wasn't convinced. I couldn't blame him. I wasn't quite convinced myself.

"He—it—or whatever spoke to me," I said with an equal persistence only witnessed in my eyes.

Cameron gazed deeply into my soul and saw it for himself.

"You are serious, Lydia!"

The air between us thickened with an unnatural tension I hadn't encountered before.