A Christmas Story

A Christmas Story by Always_Love_Books_

Christmas Eve 2004
One year before the lightning bolt was stolen.

Luke sighs, falling down into his bunk and rubbings his eyes. He could hear his heartbeat in his ears, and the sound was overwhelming. Behind his eyelids he could see the fast thrum of the Christmas lights strung up and around the cabin. From underneath his head he pulled out his pillow, slapping it over his face and blocking out the lights, causing Luke to exhale in relief.

He wasn't a fan of Christmas.

Normally, yes, he could probably tolerate the abundance of lights strung up around camp (seriously, where were they coming from), and his annoying brother that insisted on marching around camp hollering rewritten versions of jingle bells. He had done it easily for the last few years.

But his head was pounding, his eyes burned, and he'd had a stupid nightmare that night so he really wasn't in the mood.

Well stupid wasn't the word to describe it. A better word would've been terrifying. Or tempting.

Luke groaned as the words echoed in his mind, "Pledge your allegiance to me, Luke Castellan. Turn your back on the gods, and it will bring her back. I will save her, if you pledge your allegiance to me. All you have to do, is say 'Yes.'", The voice was cold, and when Luke awoke goosebumps littered his arms, and a chill ran down his spine.

The worst part of it? He considered it. Was considering it.

Is considering it.

He knows it's stupid, idiotic, but it was a chance wasn't it? A chance to bring her back from the brink of death... Who wouldn't take that chance?

Shouldn't he?

Annabeth wouldn't though, Luke thought, She respected her mother. Had no reason to through away everything for just a chance. But it's a chance.

Luke's head really hurts now and he does his best to push the subject out of his mind. It's still there, lingering at the edge of his thoughts and he honestly needs to stop because this is overwhelming him and all he wants right now is for his headache to go away.

Drowsiness is beginning to overtake him, now and he yawns, taking in a mouthful of pillow. He turns over in his bed, the pillow still pressed against his face. The pressure feels nice, turning the throbbing of his head to a low dull. And for a moment, just before he falls asleep, he's content.

::

"Luke." The call of his name scatters his dream, "Wake up."

Luke sucks in a breath, his eyes flying open as he sits up; straight and stiff. The Hermes cabin was dark, the blinking lights turned off leaving Luke's eyes drawn to the dull source of light that pulsed around the room.

He choked.

It was Thalia. She was a ghost, Luke realized, pale blue and hovering above the ghost sending waves of dull light around the room. She looked the same as the day she was turned into a tree, her eyeliner still dark around her eyes.

"Thalia." He croaked, his voice leaving him.

Thalia gave him a sad smile, "Hello Luke. Nice to see you again."

"What--how?" He sputtered, swinging his legs off the edge of the bunk. "You're a ghost!"

Thalia gave a dry laugh," Of Chirstmas Past."

Luke stared at her, utterly dumbfounded, "What?"

"Your dream." She said simply, crossing her arms, "You're considering the offer."