Demons

Demons by AmAeRaI

"You okay?" she asked him, offering a hand down to him as he held on thankfully.

"Thanks," he managed out, sitting down next to her. "I didn't actually...well, think we were going to make it, especially since-" He stopped. They were fine now. T didn't matter. The person- thing -was lying.

She caught his sentence. "Except what?" she asked curiously, squeezing his hand softly and smiled slightly.

He smiled back. "They said you would betray me, silly, right?" They both laughed softly at the thought and that moment felt perfect.

~

Broken glass shards that littered the floor; thirty keys that had locked the door; knives blunt from use ; and even more dried blood that colored the floor. that Broken glass shards. Like his soul. Thirty keys that locked. To keep him inside and rip him from the inside apart. Knives that gashed and torn apart his skin from so many times. Blood. Proof of his ordeal.

And yet- yet -even after countless times of being hurt by knives and lost in his own solitary room that smelt of the dried, metallic blood that clung to the air as firmly as his life it didn't compare. Even after all his screams and the painful shrieks that he so reluctantly let out, it didn't match.

There just wasn't anything left to say now because they didn't need to do this. This was unnesscary. What they did before- before he was roped to and knives and gashed and locked away -was even worse. But he didn't feel better thinking of that; he felt depressed.

Even if he didn't cry, his heart was already shredded and torn and humiliated. Even if he didn't cry, he still wanted to think this was a nightmare. But no, this was reality.

Reality where he was drowning and his demons learnt to swim.

~

"Huh. Good thing I didn't," she told him with the smile still intact on her face.

"Yeah, I never knew why my dad would say that." His dad was usually sane, he was fine and happy with all his friends- and more supportative than most. Which made Callum confused. His dad was probably thinking of other people. Haley was the most loyal person he ever knew.

"Crazy." Haley leaned against his shoulder and his heart skipped a beat as he felt hair tickle his neck. "What time is it?"

"Adventure time."

"Dying."

They both laughed at that.

~

His blood was as numerous as the stars. And even the others laughed at that, pointing and snickering, Haley wasn't in it. She wanted to take out her sheathed knife and kill them all, taunting about how they had blood as numerous as the stars themselves. But she just leaned against the wall, and tried to block the noise-

-trying not to cry. Stupid, she cursed at herself.

"Oh my god! Haley! Did you hear what they were going to do to him?" Someone said, laughing and throwing an arm around her.

She managed a smile at Xander, her corner of her lips being felt like marionettes. "What? I'm dying to hear what they did to him!" She lied, managing a small laugh that churned her insides. Her heart was being ripped. Her brain was going radioactive. And her mouth was-

-laughing.

"Well, they need you to do it- funny, huh?" He asked her, bumping her hip slightly with his as she felt cold, freezing fingers lock over her throat as she forced an even bigger smile and laugh.

She forced herself to hold in a tight breath and nodded, feeling as someone stitched tightly a 'smile' on her face as she replied. "That'll be hilarious!"

Sometimes.

She lied so good she thought she could fool herself.

~

"Hey." He wasn't laughing now; his face was more of a puzzled expression, his eyebrows scrunched up in confusion as he tapped her shoulder lightly. "Do you know what tried to kill me, though? It almost did-"He pulled up his tattered sleeve, showing a long red scratch."-Thankfully, it didn't."

She feigned a confused expression not unlike his. "No. But I bet it was an idiot."

"Yeah, I hate that idiot then."

It took so much work to not choke at that.

~

How does it feel?

First: It feels like it's a lie. You can't believe, nor that you will because it can't be happening. You're still naive and so your eyes -and everything else irrational- cannot handle it. So you just laugh it off. A joke. It's a joke.

Secondly: it finally settles in on you- like a disease -slow and killing, it almost rips you apart. Because, you don't want to believe it, you just do. Proof. It's there. You're laughing still; but that means nothing.

Thirdly: it's ripping you apart. Slowly and cautiously. Murderous and choking on cold, freezing fingers not unlike the feeling of frostbite. But there's no cure. Unless, unless...

You could die.

And it settles, slowly and poisoning, that you think of dying. You want to die. Because no one cares. NO ONE FUCKING CARES.

And all you're doing is digging a hole to your grave, ripping your insides out to make the perfect shovel. Slowly.

And.

Painfully.